Certain things no longer work in windows, Does not rcngnz external hd without reboot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

food7

Something about my windows xp pro machine is just not right. Running AMD 3200+ venice, 1 gig of ram, 120gb hd... At first my problems began with windows media player, when I would go to play some avi's, it would bring up a message saying that it would need to close.. The movie would play in the background, so I could move the message out of the way, and watch my movie ok, but if I hit ok on the message it would close windows media player. I did some searching in these posts and found something that seemed to help that situation.

Now, I also have a 250 gb external drive, that I shut off when I am not using it as it is pretty loud. Usually, I can turn the drive on, and within about 10 seconds or so, windows will recognize it and I can begin accessing my files. For the past two days though, If windows is running and I plug it in, I hear the tell tale beep that windows gives to say that there is new hardware connected, but then when I open my computer to access it, my computer just hangs. The rest of the machine functions ok though. I am writing this post, on the same machine with a hanging my computer at this very moment. I also have a desktop shortcut to the drive, and if I click on that, I get similar results. Sometimes windows will pile on top of each other, and become unclosable...frozen.. At current, the only way to heal the situation is to turn off the machine, and reboot. Rebooting with the external drive on and plugged in will allow me to access the drive, and it will show up in my computer. Obviously, I could reinstall windows, but that would be quite an undertaking at this point as I have a lot of software in this machine.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecated!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

food7

No, I tried that, but it did not do it unfortunately. Strange thing is. If the machine is running, and I connect the external drive, it will perform just fine. If however, I try to access the drive, or even just open the "my computer" icon, the entire computer will freeze up, 1 window at a time. Thanks for the help. If you know of anything else I can try let me know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online