1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

certain web pages won't open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gisèle, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

Hi:

I have Windows ME, Internet Explorer 5.5. Certain web pages that I use to access won't open anymore. It says done at the bottom of the page no error messages, just a blank page. I haven't done or added anything to my system; as far as I'm aware (can't speak for my teenage daughter thorugh). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. remaja

remaja

could you upgrade your internet explorer to version six
    or
    use mozila firefox?
    you can do this by going into windows update in your start menu.
    or go to the mozila website. you can find it through google. strongly recommended to upgrade ie 5.5 is very old.

could you also give examples of website you are not able to access? what can go and what can't.
    are you using broadband or dialup?

3. remaja

remaja

could you upgrade your internet explorer to version six
    or
    use mozila firefox?
    you can do this by going into windows update in your start menu.
    or go to the mozila website. you can find it through google. strongly recommended to upgrade ie 5.5 is very old.

could you also give examples of website you are not able to access? what can go and what can't.
    are you using broadband or dialup?

4. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I tried downloading I.E 6 but I'm getting an error message ''Set up was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running set up again''. To the best of my knowledge, all applications are closed unless there are others I'M unaware of. Oh I'm on dial up. Examples of web pages not opening TD waterhouse - web broker, Travel.ca links, etc.

Thanks, Gisele

5. remaja

remaja

I'm assuming you are using an old computer.

try closing the appropriate icon that's on your taskbar on the right.
    things like msn messenger especially should be turned off. is there a lot of applications on the taskbar (the little icons on the right)

after that try downloading the ie6 again if that doesn't work just go get firefox from mozilla
    it's a really good browser compared to internet explorer

after you've gotten the browser tell me the results. I believe the problem occurs due to either an old version of browser or connectivity problem since you are on 56k.
    yet they don't seem too convincing of a cause.

how do you access the sites? through google? or do you type the address on the address bar?
    try different ways of entering the site too.
    eg: try this link
    http://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/index.jsp

6. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I tried closing all the icons on my task bar and I'm still getting the same error message. So I downloaded firefox and I'm able to open webbroker on the TD waterhouse site. Looks like you found the problem. Should I delete I.E. now: will having 2 browers cause a problem??? Oh by the way, I was accessing the sites with the web addresses.

Thank you very much,
    Gisele

7. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

1. You can't "delete" Internet Explorer. Windows requires it.
    2. This was a troubleshooting step.
    3. Glad it works on Firefox ... but you still need to fix IE.
    4. Two browsers won't hurt anything.

I suggest making sure you and your daughter both use Firefox. There are very few problems.

I suggest resetting Internet Explorer, try following these instructions:

1. Do not open Internet Explorer. Make sure all browser Windows and other applications (including email) are closed.
    2. Right-click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop
    3. Choose 'Properties'
    4. Click the 'Programs' tab
    5. Click the 'Reset Web Settings' button
    6. Click 'Apply'
    7. Click 'OK'

8. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I've resetted my web settings as you've indicated but it still didn't resolve the problem with I.E.?????

Thanks,Gisele

9. remaja

remaja

you should really keep firefox as your browser. personally I never use IE for any Internet surfing, it's less safer and lack of "quality" compared to firefox.

about your IE problem, we don't really know what the damage is, so we will try to give you suggestions of solutions that may not work. so bear with us for a while.

note that you would still need IE simply because a small number of sites is not compatible with firefox.

now here's something you can try.

open IE, go to tools>internet options
    on the general tab try clicking on
    "delete cookies"
    and
    "delete files"
    this instruction is based on IE 6 I don't know if you can find the buttons. on Ie 5.5

but just in case. here's another route
    go to
    "search" in your start menu and find "temporary Internet files"
    (it should be a folder Icon)
    open it, and delete everything inside.

10. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

Hi:

I had already done that.

Thanks,Gisele

11. remaja

remaja

did it work? I do hope it works.

12. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

No, it didn't work.

Gisele

13. remaja

remaja

you can say that i'm out of ideas so far.

it depends weather you really want the IE to be fixed. if you do someday. just drop by and ask us about it. I we will be glad to help you in the future

14. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

What about I.E version 7? IS that one any good; could I try to download that one??

Thanks,Gisele

15. remaja

remaja

that depend on the hardware specifications of your computer. how old is your computer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice