1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Certain website links fail in IE9,Chrome and Mozilla

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shellken, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shellken

shellken Thread Starter

Wife complained suddenly cannot login to Shutterfly from desktop PC. When clicking "Login" button, PC cannot follow link. Several other links on Shutterfly also not working. IE times out with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. (99% of internet surfing has no problems.)
    Here is where it gets interesting.....
    -Same ethernet cable plugged into laptop works 100%, desktop fails same links 100%
    -tried chrome and mozilla browsers, same links fail.
    -deleted all cookies, temp internet files, etc. no change
    -ran Malwarebytes, CCleaner, you name it, I ran it. No problems found.
    -only had the one user account (admin) so I added guest account with default settings and IT WORKS! :eek:
    All links work no problem.
    -what could be in my admin user profile that is screwing up internet links? How do you fix it?:confused:
    Thanks for your time.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, x64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294739 MB, Free - 118275 MB; D: Total - 10503 MB, Free - 3237 MB; G: Total - 1907725 MB, Free - 1723153 MB; K: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 461754 MB;
    Motherboard: ELITEGROUP, MCP61PM-AM
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    The only thing I can think of is running ipconfig/flushdns into a command prompt. Who knows. Can't hurt to try.

3. shellken

shellken Thread Starter

OK, tried that, unfortunately did not work. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Are you experiencing this only on the shutterfly website or other websites as well? I know you said "(99% of internet surfing has no problems.)" but I wasn't sure.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    One thing I might try is reinstalling the browser, but I don't know if that will help. Just make sure to backup and bookmarks, etc.

6. shellken

shellken Thread Starter

Seems to happen on the secure links (https://), banks, etc., not just Shutterfly and not all secure sites that I visit.

7. shellken

shellken Thread Starter

I had thought about that also but I keep coming back to the fact that it does this with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox also. :confused: I'm leaning towards a Windows issue....something with the user account. When I use a default guest account, the links work, same browser, same everything except user.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yeah, that's why I said it probably won't work, but sometimes things that you wouldn't think would help do. I can't see what would connect every single browser, expect like you said, Windows. I don't know what would within Windows cause this problem.

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice