Certificate Been Revoked?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AJScott

Hey guys

Trying to access my works email, can do it through webemail.bdts-training.co.uk and every time I do that, or hit "Sign in" On front page of Google and attempt to sign in I get a screen saying it's been revoked. Now I can access it on any other machine it's just this particular one. I google'd the problem and found 2 solutions, first was to set the correct time.

Now the time wasn't correct on the machine it was set Jan 7 2010, but I changed that by updating it with the internet so it's the correct time, that didn't fix it.

I then went into Internet Explorer 8 > Tools > Internet options > Advanced > Unchecked the options that say something like "Check for publisher certificates" and that didn't fix it. I then removed everything under security and IE would barely worked. I checked my anti-virus, Sophos and trned off anything I could find to do with that and that didn't fix it. Really stressing out over this and I bet it's something simple.

Btw i'm running Windows XP SP3

Any advice would be really helpful! Here's the message I get, there's no option to continue:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

This organization's certificate has been revoked.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

res://ieframe.dll/invalidcert.htm?SSLError=12170#

AJScott

Bumping my own post.
Could really use a solution to this, can anyone add anything please?

Is there any chance of trying to collect the email with another browser or is this a work computer that can't be modified? If the date and time were nearly two years out of date (however that could have happened?), has it got all the necessary Windows updates now?

There have been a lot of problems with security certificates over the last year or two and that has led to some certificate revocations;http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...vocations-alone-are-insufficient-1381001.html.

Triple6

Rob
Can you manually verify and set the time? The time sync doesn't always work if the date is way off or if the time zone is set wrong. Then reboot the computer and try again. As mention an alternate browser such as Firefox may give you better results too.

AJScott

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I did first set the date and time manually and then with the Internet it didn't work. I have the same issues on all browsers except Safari, which let's my bypass it but still gives me a warning. Would doing some windows updates possibly fix it?

It would be 'good housekeeping' to install any Critical or Important patches that you don't have, whether or not it makes any difference to your current problem.

I know that a recent patch I got changed the status of several certificates to 'Untrusted', but that would probably only make more SSL sites fail to work, which is not what you want, even though it should increase your level of security.

I don't use IE but, checking the settings in my copy of IE 8, I see that the box next to 'check for publishers certificate revocation' is checked, while the one next to 'check for server certificate revocation' isn't, so I assume those are the default settings when security is set to 'Medium - high' as mine is.

When I have had similar warnings from my Opera browser there has been an option to see details of the certificate and the authority that issued it. If you can get that information, you could go back to the IE 'Advanced' settings, click on 'Content' and then 'Certificates' and look at the list of untrusted publishers to see if it includes the one you are warned about. If it does, you should probably contact the admins of your email program and report that their certificate is being invalidated by most of your browsers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online