1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Certified/Signed display adapter/driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oryan707, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

MAIN Problem #1:

Hi I'm wondering if anyone knows if i can find a Microsoft Certified Display adapter/video card driver (are those the same thing?) for my :
    ASUS AGP-V7100 Geforce2 MX video card.

runnig win98/SE on a VIA chipset

The reason i ask is because when i look at my drivers through the DirectX diagnostic tool 's display tab it shows my driver as 'nvdisp.drv' and in the 'notes' sections adds :

" The file nvdisp.drv is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a signed driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device"

but when i look through the ASUS home page i can't find my video card. I know my driver is from NVIDIA and i've found the right page to update from them but i'm also wanting to update my chipset driver from VIA and they warn of compatibility problems with NVIDIA so i'm looking for a "signed" "certified" or "standard" adpater/driver?
    [current driver listed as ASUS AGP-V7100 SDRAM v12.60 in the device manager]
    Related probelm #2

The reason i'm updating my chipset driver is because i need to update my diplay adapter. And I'm updating that because i'm updating my direct X. All because i'm having compatibility problems with my new CD burner's "NERO" software (OEM version). Upon intalling and rebooting i get " Initializing Device IOS Windows Protections error. Restart computer" and get caught in a safe mode/reboot loop until i uninstall the software. So i'm doing what i can to solve that but from what i've read updating your chipset driver can cause serious problems and it might not be worth the risk. (I've read about people needing to do a clean install of windows if there's a bad peice of software on your PC). I've EVEN read that i might need to start by updating my BIOS wich is way out of my league.

SO : Is there a FREE CD burner software/driver for my "A-Open" Cd burner that i can download off the net to avoid all this stress?

Any advice on what to do for any of these issues or links to sites with more info would be greatly appretiated.

2. barfly

barfly

" The file nvdisp.drv is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a signed driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device"

I wouldn't worry too much about that,lots of drivers arn't signed by microsoft, i've never had any trouble

3. zeddy

zeddy

As above, if it works fine then don't worry.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For the burner problem, does it only occur if Nero is installed or whenever the Drive is connected? Uninstall Nero and see if the problem still occurs. If it goes away check on Nero's website for patches or known issues. You can update the VIA chipset drivers from www.viaarena.com

As for the drivers, only Microsoft cares about certification. It costs a lot and a lot of companies don't bother.

5. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

in reply to 'Zeddy" and 'Barfly" : it's not that i'm worried about certification. I've allready done other homework and there is a warning on VIA 's chipset driver FAX page about NVIDIA drivers being on the PC when you try and update the chipset, here it is:
    "Category:
    4-in-1 Drivers

Question:
    Installation of the 4in1 drivers freezes right at the end.

Answer:

If you have beta versions of drivers, such as beta Nvidia drivers on your system, then you must remember that they are not Microsoft certified and may conflict with other drivers, such as the 4in1 drivers.

Resolutions:

1) Try installing in safe mode

2) Remove the beta drivers by changing your video card drivers to standard VGA drivers, instal the 4in1 drivers and then reinstall the Nvidia drivers "

so I want to know if there's a "standard" or just alternative driver . So I am trying to PREVENT a problem.

In reply to Triple6:

Hello fellow canadian! the problem only occurs when the software is installed. I can't get update's on the OEM version of the software and i've allready checked for known issues and one them is updating the VIA chipset! Which is why i've allready found the VIA site and the driver I need. That's why i'm here to check for a new video card driver! Or another free Burner driver!

P.S i've also been in contact with their support team (really really slow germans that don't speak good english) and they say to update my Direct X wich also needs an update on my Video card to PREVENT compatibility problems.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can obtain a unified Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com . In their download section they specify which drivers are certified, they also have an Archive section, their new drivers aren't very good so you may want to get one in the 44.XX. ASUS would also have drivers on their site for the card as well.

Nero is a great program but Easy CD Creator, NTI, and many more are available. They may also have this problem though. There is a patch or fix for your problem on Microsoft's site - I think you've found it already if you're looking at chipset drivers - but get all the Windows updates (except drivers). DirectX is on there as well.

You should be able to get updates on your OEM Nero/Nero Express from this site: http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

7. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

In response to Triple6:

Ok your right, i found a Win98 Nvidia Driver archive page , for any one else reading, here's the link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

There's the 29.42, 30.82 and the 40.72. I'l take baby steps and start with 29.42. But in the intallation tips page it says to uninstall the existing driver through the add/remove programs tool. But my driver's don't appear on that list. I can find them in my "device manager" under "display adapters" . And there's a "remove" button there, so my first question is:

A: Can i uninstall my display adapter through the device manager, is that the safest way?

What i'll want to do is instal driver # 29, reboot, see if everythings ok, then uninstall, reboot then update to 30 reboot. ect ect. so:

B: if any of my display adapters cause a problem can i unistall and reinstall an old one?

Once i have my display adapter decided i'll try to update my DirectX from 8.0 to 9.

C: You mentioned Easy CD creator and NTI, are these free downloads or do i have to pay?

You said "There is a patch or fix for your problem on Microsoft's site - I think you've found it already if you're looking at chipset drivers" I actually haven't found found a patch for my problem, and when i go to Windows Update in just gives me security updates and tries to make me upgarde to IE 6, ( i love my IE 5) .so :

D: If you had a specific patch or part of the Microsoft site in mind i would aprectiate a link to it.

And finally the link you gave me to update my Nero actually doesn't allow me update the OEM version, it only allows as low as version 3. Just for anyone else reading's info.

Thanks for anyone's help. ORYAN

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

9. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

Hi my last post above had a handful of "newbie" type questions in response to to Triple6's post before it , i guess he missed it but if anyone else can answer them that would be great. Thanks ORYAN

10. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

Ok while i have this thread open. I mentioned i'm upgrading my Nvidia display driver from 23.11 to version 29.42 in anticipation of upgrading my DirectX. Because the DirectX fax says if there are any problems to upgrade your display/sound drivers. I was wondering, Does any one know the minimum requirement of drivers for DirectX 9? Just trying to prevetn a problem before it starts. :)

ORYAN

P.S if anyone can answer the questions from my 02-04-2004 post above that would be great.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!