1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CGI forms not working on company website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by kristenkeys, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristenkeys

kristenkeys Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've been working at an art gallery for about 8 months now. The guy who did the website before was not in-house and really took advtange of his situation. He was our server, and when they hired me to do in-house web and design stuff, he got mad and dropped us. I've since moved the server, but I am having a problem figuring out somethings that will not seem to work since the move.

The website is dwigmore.com

After the flash loads, go to "search." If you try to search it can't-- says that a log file cannot be found. I can't find that line in the script to change the root location. I've looked up and down, and I do NOT see it. Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Also, if you go to "contact" and submit that form-- it will go through to our email, but the person who submits the form doesn't get our confirmation page. As far as I can tell it is set up exactly the same as our "acquisitions" page, in which the person DOES get a confirmation page.

Follow me?

If someone could help I'd be eternally greatful. We are very busy and about to open a new exhibition. I was hoping to do a total revamp on the site after this move, but unfortunately I need these pages to work in the meantime.

Please help! :eek:

2. Gibble

Gibble

The path might be set in a different file that's included/required by the cgi the form is sending too.

3. kristenkeys

yeah, that's what i was thinking. i guess i should just sit down this weekend and go through the WHOLE thing. look at every file. i just don't have time at work!

but if anyone else wants to take a crack at the puzzle, i'd be very happy ;)

4. Gibble

Gibble

Well, we don't have access to the cgi files.

Just do a "find" on that directory for files containing that path.

5. kristenkeys

yeah. i did a search earlier and didn't come up with anything. but i was rushed and i am not sure that i did it very thoroughly. i will try again. i didn't even think and realize that you guys wouldn't have access to cgi-- duh. sorry! thanks though.

6. Chris_E

Chris_E

Hi Kirsten (assume that's you're name?)

I just visited the site a few observations:

When the flash loads, it is possible for me to click on the DW logo just before it heads off to load the flash home page with the links etc. If I do, I get an error 404.

This means the flash logo is supposed to allow the visitor to click it to go somewhere. I'd see if you can look into that maybe? :confused:

The Search page looked fine to me just now (Sunday eve, UK) - I was shown the search form BUT when I entered a search text in the "Artist" field, I saw:

Could not locate /home/dw/www/webdata/wigmore_usrcrit.log

If you can log into the server as root and try:

cd /
    find / -name wigmore_usrcrit.log -print

it should tell you where the file actually is - if there at all.

Re: the contact us page. There will be a folder in the web area called cgi-bin

In that folder SHOULD be a file called contact.cgi

Carefully look at this file and see if it refers anywhere to an HTM or HTML page that should be where the redirect goes to when the user presses the submit page.

Then come back to us here?

Anon

Chris

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice