1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chage environment variables for documents and settings directory.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pure_evil020, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pure_evil020

pure_evil020 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I originally came to this idea after wondering "Could I install windows on a wireless external hard drive?"
    But quickly realized that a wireless hard drive probably would not be detected during bios, and needs windows to run.

I'm wondering though, if the environment variables of windows could be modified, so that when you run software that uses these variables to store temp data etc, it would be sent to an identical network drive, instead of the directory windows is actually installed on.

Can this be achieved with some changes to the registry?
    And would the changes cause any problems with windows itself?

Basically I want to trick windows into thinking that the entire "documents and settings" folder, is on the wireless drive. Not C: (windows installed drive).

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no such folder in Windows 7. Should I move this thread to the Windows XP or Earlier Versions of Windows forum?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have a Windows Server, then you can move some user folders to the server's hard drive. This feature enables centralized backup. But Windows 7's User folder ( or XP's Document and Settings folder ) cannot be moved, because it houses the user profile.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice