1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Challenge: Help fixing this picture plz! (Pinhole lens distortion)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by DPanMan, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a cheap (inexpensive/low quality) 640x480 keychain camera such as this one:

http://www.compuvisor.com/mike64dicaus.html

I got it for 23$, so I didn't expect that great quality, but some of the distortions are simply appalling. The camera is almost almost useless indoors w/o stadium spot lights or something.

Attached is an outdoor picture taken with camera in idea lighting conditions, and held perfectly still.

The middle of the picture was not bad, but closer to the edge the focus is just terrible. This is probably inherent in the pinhole lens design, but are there ways to fix this with software?

I also noticed that the focus was better (edges not as blurred) when taking pictures of close things (5 ft). But to be 5ft away from something, usually you are indoors with lighting problems.

I used PSP and used the OneStepPhotoFix script, distortion fixes, and color fixes. But the edges are still blurry as before, and it now looks more like painting than a picture.

Anyone want to give it a try, or any tips?

Appreciate your help

Attached Files:

2. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Here was my attempt at fixing it

Attached Files:

3. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

close range is a lot better

Attached Files:

4. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

I'm afraid this one appears better only because there is nothing to look at around the edges...the distortion/blurryness is still there

I don't know how you can fix distortion/blurryness...maybe someone else does

the barrel effect can be corected somewhat but the focus is another story

buck

5. hewee

hewee

Buck I don't think it can be fix either.

It is like they say you get what you pay for.
    I see the same thing on other cameras that were $100.00.
    They are really made to take picture close up but your still see the distortion on the edges.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

I agree that there is little that can be done with the image. It appears that type of lens is only adequate for close ups and even then one would be forced to chop the out of focus parts.

Dave

7. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Really appreciate all your help.

Just wondering, because the picture looks like it could have been made by some kind of radial blur, is there some kind of filter to reverse the process? I perfectly understand that there probably isn't, but it would be nice to hear it from someone else.

8. suzi

suzi

Which version of PSP did you try? The new version, 8 has some new tools for correcting pincushion, barrel and fisheye distortions. ...later... I tried those and it didn't make much difference. Here's what I got with photoshop elements 2 though.

As you can see my solution was to crop the most distorted portions out. :eek:

I tried all kinds of things using sharpen and unsharp mask but they didn't make much difference.

Attached Files:

9. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

I used PSP8, with the distortion and photo corrections as you mentioned. Consensus seems like only solution is to crop out blurry part.

However, I tried enhancing edges, and follow up with some other filters (erode, dilate, sharpen, etc.). Ended up nothing like a photo, but a pretty nice picture though.

10. hewee

hewee

You just need a better camera.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice