1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change a few things [unimportant]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lutz1904, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lutz1904

Lutz1904 Thread Starter

is there a way i can change the username er whatever it*s called on my computer?
    for example...

C:\Documents and Settings\username

ALSO, there were instructions on how to rename the recycling bin. i did them very carefully over and over again but it never got renamed... does anyone know how? i know this is not important AT ALL but i care about my computer appearance =]

2. rude

rude

To rename user account:
    Start/Control Panel/User Accounts,Select"Pick an account to change",click on your user name,then select change my name and there you go

To rename Recycle bin:
    Open up your favorite plain text editor (notepad, for example) and copy the following text into a new file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
    "CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Now save this text file as a .reg file, such as "Rename Recycle Bin.reg" and put it wherever you like.
    Double click on the file, and when it asks you if you want to import it into the registry, choose Yes.
    You'll notice a new option in the right-click menu to Rename the Recycle Bin.
    You can also rename it by highlighing the Bin and hitting F2, or by highlighting it and clicking on the file name (just like renaming any other file.

If you want to turn off this new feature, make another .reg file with the same content as above, but change the first number in the "Attributes"=hex: line from 50 to 40 and import that file into the registry.

3. Lutz1904

Lutz1904 Thread Starter

for the user account thing... it only renames the user names but NOT the username i started out with in the first place [the one i had ever since i had the computer]. i dunno~ i don*t think you can.......

i can*t save the file as a .reg file in notepad... i just can*t save it as lotsa file types. i think juse .txt

thanx for replying =]

4. rude

rude

Ok,to change the COMPUTER name,right click on My Computer,select Properties, on the Computer Name tab.Here you can change the "username i started out with in the first place [the one i had ever since i had the computer]. "

Still lookin' for the other thing.

5. rude

rude

6. Lutz1904

Lutz1904 Thread Starter

ahh i don*t think you can change the username anyway... i meant the thing in red up there! it*s real hard to explain. sorry for not explinaing that goOd

for some reason, i could never rename the recycling bin... i have tried everything step by step over and over... i think it*s just cuz of my cpmputer. OH WELL! no prolblem~ thanx so much for trying to help thuoghhhh!! ^_^

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice