1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change a group of similar file names.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by stevieBcanyon, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevieBcanyon

stevieBcanyon Thread Starter

My stupidity caused the problem. Hope someone can figure an easy way out. I can fix it the hard way.

I have a folder of word documents (hundreds). My wife has a similar file (also hundreds).

All the documents are recipes. Mine all have the word "recipe" as the first word of the document title. My wife's does not.
    example: Recipe Gooey butter cake.doc vs. Gooey butter cake.doc

I want to combine the two files and they will automatically alphabetize themselves in a single file....if.... I can delete the word recipe from one set of documents.

Anybody know of a quick way to accomplish this?

TIA

Steve

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Couple questions, Steve. Then you'll have to wait (maybe) a few days for an answer.

Is the word Recipe always the nth word in the document itself--not including a header or footer?

If you can email me just one or two of the recipes with that word in it, just to be sure, I can test the VBA code before I tell you how to use it.

If you don't want to wait, I can create you a macro that you can:

Open all the files at once.
    Run the macro, close a file.
    Run the macro, close a file.

The macro could be run with a toolbar button.

What I'm hoping to get you is some VBA code that will open, change, save and close the docs for you all by itself.

Let me know or email the files--please remind me in the email what it's for.

thanks!
    [email protected]

3. stevieBcanyon

Dreamboat.....

The word "recipe" is in the document title, not the body of the recipe, itself.

example: Recipe Gooey Butter Cake.doc

I have hundreds of document titles in a file folder with the word "Recipe" as the first word of each.

I want the document titles to lose the word "Recipe" on each.

example: Gooey Butter Cake.doc

Hope this explains my needs better.

TIA

Steve

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh! So NOT the document title, but the file name.

In that case, I cannot help you! Sorry....

:(

5. stevieBcanyon

Dreamboat.....

Thanks for trying.

Maybe somebody else has an idea.

Steve

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'd like to move this to the Windows forum for you, because it's not about Word.

What version do you have?

7. stevieBcanyon

Dreamboat....

I'm sorry. I must be a terrible communicator.

I guess I consider the problem a Word problem, not a Windows problem. Microsoft really confuses me. Seems like a Word document would be considered to have a Word problem, not a Windows problem, but because of the relationship of files, documents, etc, I can see why it may be a Windows problem.

Gee, I sure felt smarter about computers when I used a little 3 inch reel to reel tape recorder as memory. That was only 20 or 25 years ago.

All I want to do is find an easy way to rename a great number of Word documents. All of them happen to have the first word of the document title "recipe".

An example of one of the word documents would be
    recipe rice tuna hotdish.doc.

Without opening the Word document and renaming it....I want to rename or somehow change the name (and hundreds of other, similar documents) to something like....

rice tuna hotdish.doc (losing the word recipe)

The reason they all have the first word of the document name or title as recipe is that it was a way of alphabetizing them when they were part of Word "file" or Windows "My documents".

Now they are just in a new folder titled recipes, similar to a my documents folder.

JFTR.... I use Windows 98 and Office 97.

Thanks for all your effort. I apologize if I led you down the garden path by poorly communicating.

Feel free to move the post, if you feel it is appropriate.

Thanks, again.

Steve

8. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

9. stevieBcanyon

downwitchyobadself ....

Thank you. I look at those.

Hope they are what I need.

Steve

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice