1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change "ADMINISTRATOR" name?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rekilcoyne, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rekilcoyne

rekilcoyne Thread Starter

I am the onle one that uses this computer and so the only account says 'administrator', is there any way i can chane this to my name or anything? ive looked on google but didnt find anything.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Go to user accounts in the control panel and double click on the name.

3. Miz

Miz

The best way I've found to change both user names and passwords is to go to Start>Run and type in (or copy here and paste in): control userpasswords2 (note the space after "control"), click OK.

You can select the account you want to change, click the Properties button and change the name there, clicking on OK to save any changes made.

If you want it to automatically login to that account on startup, uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box. When you click OK, it will ask you to enter a password, which I recommend you do. Just don't forget that password!

To be on the safe side, once you've established a password, go to Control Panel>User Accounts, click on the Administrator account and choose "Prevent a Forgotten Password" in the list on the left. You will need a clean, formatted floppy disk. Once it's created, store it someplace safe, away from heat, any sort of magnetic field (like a monitor), etc. Since floppies can deteriorate so easily, if you think you might forget the password, make a new password floppy every few months.

4. downtime

downtime

Tell me if I'm wrong, please, but doesn't the recovery console REQUIRE the administrator account being named administrator? If you set windows to allow using the recovery console without logon does that cover there being no account actually named administrator? Or does the recovery console recognize the change of name? Has anyone tried logging in to a recovery console after changing the account name? I've been unable to log on to a recovery console on a machine the admin account was deleted, and also on an NT4 Server machine because someone used alt>keypad characters in the admin password. The alt>keypad characters aren't available in recovery mode, was that a mess!
    I've seen a few posts on changing the admin name, but is that such a good idea?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I guess I'm assuming he/she means instead of it saying log on administrator, it says log on MY NAME.

Mine says the name I chose and there's only one user, me :)

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't suggest not having a backup admin account. Why not just make another account with your username that is in the Administrators group.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice