1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change Computers Registered Owner

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GJLex311, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GJLex311

GJLex311 Thread Starter

Okay so the title of the thread is a bit misleading, because I was able to get in and change who my computer is registered to... However, When I go to save or open something on the desktop it still says C:\Documents and Settings\(the name that I used to have the computer registered to)\Desktop\ etc etc... in the navigation bar, How do I get the computer to change that?

Thanks in advance

By the way im operating in windows xp.

2. daranman

daranman

You could create a new user account for yourself in the Control Panel

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

If still no joy try this.

CHANGING THE LICENSED OWNERS NAME IN YOUR COMPUTER

Let's say you inherit a computer from someone else and it has their name and/or organization listed as the licensed owner in Windows and now, it's yours, so you want to change this. Navigate your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version.

(navigate by doubleclicking each of these.) In the right pane, you'll see RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner in the Name column. Right-click the one you want to change, select Modify, and on the Value Data line of the resulting dialog box, type the correct information. Click OK, repeat these steps for the other value, if desired, and close the Registry Editor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!