1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change default path..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CVDpr, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CVDpr

CVDpr Thread Starter

Hey there, every time i want to install something the default path is: C:\PROGRAM FILES\
    but i install the programs in a different partition( d:\ ) , so its there away to change the default C:\PROGRAM FILES\ to D:\ ? or its the path that the creator have chosen and not windows ?

Thx..

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty easy, however make sure you make a backup of at least the reg key you are working on before you do this.

Open regedit and go to this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

On the right you will see programfiles dir Change it to read whatever you want.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should have put right click the key and choose modify. Then you can change it to whatever you want ie D.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Usually there is a spot in the instal program that gives you the option of changing the drive that you want t install to. This is better than messing around in the registry and not as dangerous.

5. CVDpr

CVDpr Thread Starter

I know but i dont want to select another path every time i want to install some, cuz with the default its automatically C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX RIGHT? but when i change the path on the fly to D:\ i have to add the D:\Mozilla Firefox and thats the thing i dont want to do everytime..

6. CVDpr

CVDpr Thread Starter

i change the
    Name: ProgramFilesDir
    Data: C:\Program Files to D:

But what is this?

Name: ProgramFilesPath
    Data: %ProgramFiles%

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried it to see what the default install path is?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice