1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change desktop icon size on reolution change.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Niko Bellic, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Niko Bellic

Niko Bellic Thread Starter

Hi,

Is there a way that it automatically changes the desktop icons size when i change the resolution?

example:

Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Desktop icon size: Medium icons

i want to change to:

Resolution: 800 x 600
    Desktop icon size: Classic icons

2. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Hi Niko,
    I can't seem to find any way to do what you are asking, however if you want to change your icon size very quickly you can hold down the CTRL button and rotate your mouse scroll button forward or backwards depending on which way you want the icon sizes to go.

3. Niko Bellic

i know this method, but i want it automatically do this for me..

i use an app on my ipad that connects to my desktop, and it changes the resolution automatically to 800 x 600, but the icons are very big.

so i need some sort of an application on the pc that changes the icon size for me when the resolution is changed, then when i disconnect from the app, the resolution goes back to default (it already happens from the app) but with changing the icons size to medium.

please let me know if you didn't understand or confused.

4. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Ah, ok didn't know you were connecting remotely. While I attempt to learn more about how this process works....are you able to even get to your display settings for your desktop from your ipad?

5. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Also what is the app you are using on the ipad?

6. Niko Bellic

Yes i'm able to view the display settings on the ipad, the app is called Splashtop.

7. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Ok, so after many searches it seems a lot of people have had the same issue with Splashtop. People are either having a problem with not being able to see their whole desktop or icons/text are way too big or too small. Most of the people commenting were stating that Splashtop is not even trying to fix the issue and that there are other applications that do the job better and may be free etc etc.

Here is a link to a guide from Splashtop on how to try to fix the problem. It is for Windows 7 but maybe it will help you on Vista. http://support-remote.splashtop.com/entries/514346-why-do-i-only-see-part-of-my-computer-screen

8. Niko Bellic

I appreciate this, but this not the problem.

I just simply use large icons on my big desktop screen that has 1920 x 1080 resolution.

of course the ipad's resolution is a lot smaller, so when i connect to my desktop, the resolution changes except the icons, they stay large, unless i right click on desktop and choose small icons.

Now i don't want to do this every time i connect, so that's why i'm asking if there's a program on vista that can change the icons size when it detects a resolution change.

9. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Yea, I am understanding the problem but can't seem to find any solutions or programs that would do that for you. Can you view the whole desktop and just the icons are too big or do you have to scroll around on the desktop? Can you pinch to zoom out on your desktop? I should prolly just get this app and try it out but I dont have an ipad...just the iphone.

Edit: Have you tried to use the "Native Resolution" setting on your ipad?

To prevent your icons from moving and windows being resized, you should use the "native resolution" setting on the ipad client (Right blue arrow -> Advanced -> "Use computer's native display setting".

Your desktop will be small but you can use the two finger pinch to zoom in if needed.

I got this advice from a comment here:
    http://support-remote.splashtop.com/entries/266287-How-can-I-change-the-screen-resolution-

If you do this you shouldn't have large icons, however you will have to zoom in on your ipad to see icons and such it seems.

10. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

So, I suppose the answer to your question is no.....at least until someone else responds to this post with some genius program that does this for you. The best option it seems is to use the native resolution on your iPad so your desktop resolution never changes but you will have to use pinch to zoom on your ipad to see some things.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice