Change destination HD from C to E

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JaneKL

Almost everything I download automatically goes to the "C" drive, which is almost full. Can you tell me how to send all downloads automatically to the "E" drive, which has lots of room? I'm using a Compaq Pentium 4 desktop with XP Pro v. 2002.

Thank you,
Jane

When you perform a file download (I assume that's what you are talking about) you can choose whatever destination your heart desires. Different browsers handle it in different ways - for IE you get a dialogue box come up asking you where you want to save the file. In Firefox (heaps better than IE anyway :)) you go into "options" and set whatever directory (and drive) you want to use.

If you are talking about P2P software then the destination is also set in preferences of whatever P2P software you are using.

JaneKL

kev1952 said:
When you perform a file download (I assume that's what you are talking about) you can choose whatever destination your heart desires. Different browsers handle it in different ways - for IE you get a dialogue box come up asking you where you want to save the file. In Firefox (heaps better than IE anyway :)) you go into "options" and set whatever directory (and drive) you want to use.

If you are talking about P2P software then the destination is also set in preferences of whatever P2P software you are using.
Hi Kev,

Thanks a lot!

Jane

Here's another way:

The subst command allows the substitution of a drive letter for a local drive path. For example, to map the drive C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents to the drive Q: use the following command:

subst Q: "C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents"

Once run, Q: should appear in the My Computer listing as a drive. Referencing a file in Q:\ will actually reference the file in the full path substituted above.

JaneKL

kev1952 said:
Glad to help - was that the info you wanted?
Hi Kev,

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for your help.

Jane

JaneKL

DefConDelta said:
Here's another way:

The subst command allows the substitution of a drive letter for a local drive path. For example, to map the drive C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents to the drive Q: use the following command:

subst Q: "C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents"

Once run, Q: should appear in the My Computer listing as a drive. Referencing a file in Q:\ will actually reference the file in the full path substituted above.
Hi DefConDelta,

Thank you very much for your help.

Jane

DoubleHelix

Banned
The SUBST command doesn't change the actual location where files are stored. It just allows you to type a different letter. The files are in exactly the same place.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online