1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change destination HD from C to E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JaneKL, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JaneKL

JaneKL Thread Starter

Almost everything I download automatically goes to the "C" drive, which is almost full. Can you tell me how to send all downloads automatically to the "E" drive, which has lots of room? I'm using a Compaq Pentium 4 desktop with XP Pro v. 2002.

Thank you,
    Jane

2. kev1952

kev1952

When you perform a file download (I assume that's what you are talking about) you can choose whatever destination your heart desires. Different browsers handle it in different ways - for IE you get a dialogue box come up asking you where you want to save the file. In Firefox (heaps better than IE anyway :)) you go into "options" and set whatever directory (and drive) you want to use.

If you are talking about P2P software then the destination is also set in preferences of whatever P2P software you are using.

3. JaneKL

JaneKL Thread Starter

Hi Kev,

Thanks a lot!

Jane

4. kev1952

kev1952

Glad to help - was that the info you wanted?

5. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

Here's another way:

The subst command allows the substitution of a drive letter for a local drive path. For example, to map the drive C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents to the drive Q: use the following command:

subst Q: "C:\Documents and Settings\Quinn\My Documents"

Once run, Q: should appear in the My Computer listing as a drive. Referencing a file in Q:\ will actually reference the file in the full path substituted above.

6. JaneKL

JaneKL Thread Starter

Hi Kev,

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for your help.

Jane

7. JaneKL

JaneKL Thread Starter

Hi DefConDelta,

Thank you very much for your help.

Jane

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The SUBST command doesn't change the actual location where files are stored. It just allows you to type a different letter. The files are in exactly the same place.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice