1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change drive letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wingnut73, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wingnut73

wingnut73 Thread Starter

When I installed XP on a new build computer my hard drive installed as Drive I:.
    I think it is because I had a USB hub connected.
    Is it possible to to change this drive to drive C:?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope, you can't change the drive letter of the running O/S. You need to install XP onto C: from the start.

3. norton850

norton850

"I think it is because I had a USB hub connected."

Yes XP does things like that. You would have to do a reinstall with the hub or anything else non essential disconnected (it was quite a while ago but for me the problem was a Zip drive).

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it is technically possible to change a system drive letter, I do not recommend doing so. Here is why; when an app is installed, it installs files to its own folder AND to the windows and or windows\system32 folder. If you change the path from I:\windows to C:\windows it will cause problems. In addition it is an involved process to do this. Here are the instructions for changing a system drive. Again I do not recommend doing this. Since all apps would need to be reinstalled anyway, it is just easier to reinstall windows then reinstall the apps.

Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    Log on as an Administrator.
    Start Regedt32.exe.
    Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Click MountedDevices.
    On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    Restart the computer.

5. JohnWill

I choose not to present this option, since the chance of success is not all that good. All you have to do is miss one detail, and you'll spend more time debugging than you would doing a proper install. ;)

6. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

i agree with JohnWill, i did this once when i was installing windows xp onto a couple dells i setting up to sale, i installed windows not looking at it fully but it installed as E instead of C when i went to install the drivers it told me C:\ couldnt be found, i changed the system drive letter and had nothing but problems therefore after, i quickly wiped the hdd clean and did a fresh install and that time made sure the drive letter was c.

7. wingnut73

wingnut73 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. That is as I suspected.

8. Jaz666

Jaz666

9. JohnWill

While that may appear to work, it's a kludge that will surely bite you in the butt at some time in the future. There really is no substitute for doing the job right.

10. Jaz666

Jaz666

I agree that it is a work around and that it always pays to do something right but it works. Clever too.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice