1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change file type

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by marydin, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

I downloaded some "mp3" files but they come up as everything from .doc to .bin. The site said to download something called Change Type to access the files, (chgtype is the actual file name) but apparently this is no longer available. Is there any other way anyone knows of to access the mp3 portion of the files I downloaded? Thank you!

2. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

I just thought of something else: the zip files won't unzip, and the website I downloaded from said this might happen but just to change type, again w/ same unavailable utility.

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Be CAREFUL with files that don't look like they should. You never know what you're getting. A file with an MP3 extension isn't going to do anything to your computer because it will only launch the MP3 player you're using, but other files could (and do!) contain trojans and viruses.

Doc files, for example, are probably MS Word files, and can contain Macro viruses.

If the files are simply being disguised to get around Napster's demise, for example, I guess you could just right-click the file name in Explorer, and select Rename, and then change the file from , for example coolmusic.bin to coolmusic.mp3.

There IS a program called Change Type, but it only does what is listed above; you can download it here:
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10096-100-886910.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.886910

Again, be careful dealing with files that aren't labeled correctly.

4. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

what exactly is a macro virus and would norton antivirus catch it?

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Oops, just tried that download link, and the file wasn't found.

See my earlier reply for the steps you need to take...it really is just a simple matter of typing in the correct three letters, if I understand the problem correctly.

6. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

A macro virus uses Word's scripting capabilities to copy itself, propagate itself, and possibly do damage to your files or computer. Norton AV should catch all known macro viruses (make sure it's updated to the latest virus definitions).

7. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

link to change type is not working. Is same one I tried. says 404 unavailable. what do you think just forget it and delete files?

8. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

Have new computer w/ windows xp, cant find windows explorer, can u help? maybe i can try to open one of them and should i scan 4 viruses b4 or after opening?

9. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Find the files in Explorer, RIGHT-CLICK on them (right mouse button, not left), and select RENAME. The name will be highlighted and will let you change it. Change the name from whatever.bin to whatever.mp3, or whatever.zip, if it's a zip file.

If the file extension isn't showing, you can make it show by going to Tools / Folder Options / View (in Explorer) and unchecking the box that says "Hide File Extensions for known File Types".

Once the file is renamed, THEN try to play it or unzip it by double-clicking. Be sure it's renamed though, before doing this.

Under no circumstances would I recommend you double-click any of these files until the extension is mp3 or zip. If the site can't name its files properly, something is shady from the get-go.

Also, just a note though I'm sure you know this: don't rename any files in the windows folder or any program folder. Only try this with downloaded files or files you know you put there.

Good luck

10. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I assume starting Explorer in Windows XP is the same as in other versions of Windows. A quick way to get to it is to hold down the WIndows key (which is that key with the little Microsoft flag looking logo between the Control and ALT keys, and press E. Explorere should start right up.

OR, go to Start / Programs and look there for a shortcut.

OR go to Start / Search / Search for files or folders (if you do it this way, you'll need to click the Folders button in the toolbar to make the drives show up)

11. marydin

marydin Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, I will try to rename and play, and if that doesn't work I will just delete them. Cheers!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice