1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change from Dial-up to Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jbrummer, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbrummer

jbrummer Thread Starter

I tried to help my mom switch from Dial-up to Broadband but the computer now not working. I bought a network card and hooked my modem to this. Installed the software. But I cannot access the internet. Any suggestions? Do I need to something else to tell the computer that the modem is there? It is a pretty old computer (about 7-8 years). She does have a laptop and getting internet connection on it thru modem, so I know modem is working. I also uninstalled the dialup software as well. Thanks!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the network card in Device Manager and working? Is the connection set up in the Network Connections folder?

There isn't really any "dialup software". It uses the same programs for dial-up as for DSL or cable. What did you remove?

3. jbrummer

jbrummer Thread Starter

I deleted the AT&T software for the "dial-up". I called my mom and asked her to look for the Network Connections folder and all she has is folders that refer to the dial up stuff. She has Windows 98 2nd edition.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Oh, 98. That is a bit different. Is the network card in Device Manager and does it have anything wrong with it (red or yellow splotches or warning messages)?

Also, look in Internet Options in Internet Explorer or Control Panel, under Connections tab. Be sure that the dial-up is not still designated as the connection (make it LAN) and tell her to remove all the connections in the Dial-up Networking folder.

5. jbrummer

jbrummer Thread Starter

Can you tell me how to get to the Device Manager in Win98? I can't remember and it's hard for me to tell her where to go to find it. Thanks!!

6. vicks

vicks

There are 2 ways to get there... right click on my computer, select properties then device manager. or Start>control panel>System>device manager.

Good luck
    Vicks

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

adding a network card to a dialup system does nothing.

do you you have a cable or dsl internet service provider?

did you setup an account?

8. jbrummer

jbrummer Thread Starter

Yes she has internet thru her cable provider, which she can access thru her laptop. Do I have to install something on the desktop from the cable provider??

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager tab. Be sure that the card is installed.

Then, go to the Connections tab in Internet Options (Control Panel) and be sure that the LAN is designated as the connection to use as default.

If there are specifics that need to be done to connect, a call to the ISP will help with that. They may even be able to do it remotely if your card is correctly installed.

After every change, reset the modem. It needs resetting after even minor changes, and sometimes just for good measure.

10. jbrummer

jbrummer Thread Starter

I finally was able to do all that you said, LAN is designated and network card is okay but still cannot get to the internet. Anything else?? Thanks for all the help!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice