1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change from unsecure to secure wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AgentDuncan38, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AgentDuncan38

AgentDuncan38 Thread Starter

Got a Linksys wireless-g Broadband router. When I first started in this feild I did not set up a secure wireless network for my home(Stupid me).How can I change from an unsecure to a secure wireless home network without a lot of problems?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sure, it should be pretty easy. Note that the following configuration should be done on a WIRED connection, not a wireless connection to the router.

Access the router's setup screen, default for Linksys is 192.168.1.1 using IE, and go to the wireless configuration. If all your equipment supports it, I'd pick WPA or WPA2, if not you'll have to use the less secure WEP. Make sure that your WPA key is long and complicated, and it's very secure.

After configuring your router, you'll have to enter the matching key into each wireless workstation when you connect the first time, after that it will be retained for future connections.

3. pavekt

pavekt

Like John said make sure you use a very good password I recommend going to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm It generates max length random passwords that you can use. Using this makes it pretty much impossible for someone to brute force your password. Also make sure you change the default password on your router to something you can remember but very hard to quess..

4. AgentDuncan38

Thanks for the help. I should have done the secure method in the first place

5. AgentDuncan38

Thanks. I need all the help I can get as I have only been doing this for 1 year.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's one year more than some people. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579521