1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change in logon problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fargograf, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

I'm the only user on my home computer, but I've started getting a sign on screen (which I never used to get)

there's a box that has user name : Administrator and password: *****

then on top of this is another box that says "logon message. The system could not log you on. make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case"

If I then replace "administrator" with my name (no password), it logs me in.

I don't know what I did to change the login protocol , but any help to undo it would be appreciated!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Do you mean you want the Welcome login screen instead?

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
    2. Click "Change the way users log on or off".
    3. Click to select the "Use the Welcome screen for fast and easy logon" check box.
    4. Click OK.

3. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

actually, I'd like to just be able to turn on my computer and use it without having to type any user name or password.

That's the way it used to start up. i don't know what changed...

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Ensure you have all patches applied to the PC some of the .net installs sometimes make it so you have both your single user ID and the Administrator listed. As well make sure your using Welcome screen login if your not then you will have to hit something each time.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

BTW you also can use TweakUI to automatically log on too.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are the only person using the computer and what to have it automatically log you on,

Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
    Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    Enter in the name of the account you want to login with automatically.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Sounds like it was set to AutoLogin but they set the Administrator to AutoLogin instead of their normal user account. If they do that on an XP Home computer they will get that message, because for obvious reasons the Administrator cannot login on XP HOme in normal mode.

Once you get in just redo the instructions Bob Provided but make sure you put in your username and password this time instead of the Administrator.

8. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

I don't have a password - just a login name (and I'm not sure where that came from!)

can I still do what Bob suggested.

I'm really afraid of locking myself "out" and not being able to access the computer at all. I'm in the middle of a project that I can't risk losing.

Thanks for all your helps.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While it may be a good idea, you don't need a password to do what I suggested.

10. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

Okay I did this:
    Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
    Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer THIS WASN'T CHECKED TO BEGIN WITH.
    Enter in the name of the account you want to login with automatically.

When I restarted, I got the original message:
    a box that has user name : Administrator and password: *****

then on top of this is another box that says "logon message. The system could not log you on. make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case"

but when I click "okay", I now get a Choose user screen and I'm the only user listed

Under “users accounts” it lists 3 names:
    User name: administrator group: administrators
    User name: ASPNET group: Users
    User name: default group: administrators

Should I delete two of these? which two??

Thanks very much!

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Usually when you get this -

logon message. The system could not log you on. make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case"

Its because your using windows XP Professional on a PC that is part of a domain.... Is this a Home use only PC? What does your computer settins show unsder Computername in the Properties of My Computer.

What has me baffled is you really should only get 1 login screen and now its sounding like you have 2?

12. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

the "computer name" is a 7 digit alpha-numeric, and "workspace" is just called workspace

I'm using windowsXP home version on a home computer - no network.

This problem may have started when I upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP about a year ago.

I've been afraid to "fiddle" with things for fear of screwing it all up.

I recently ran across this website and thought I'd ask for help.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I never said to delete any accounts.

The name and password you want to enter in for the control userpasswords2 section is the exact same name and password your normally log in with.

14. fargograf

fargograf Thread Starter

I tried choosing one of the names and giving it a password - this was supposed to allow me to start the computer with that account without having to enter a name or password.

now when the computer starts, there's a brief flash of the original 2 boxes:

(a box that has user name : Administrator and password: *****
    then on top of this is another box that says "logon message. The system could not log you on. make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case")

then that's covered by a two tone blue screen that says "windows is starting up"...
    half the time it gets stuck there and I have to restart. The other times I get the original 2 boxes again over a black background.

DO I NEED ALL THREE ACCOUNT NAMES? WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DELETE TWO OF THEM, AND LEAVE THE ADMINISTRATOR?

thanks again for your help...

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again I would not recommend deleting any user accounts. Certainly not until you figure out which ones you can log in with.

Did you ever go back into the control userpasswords2 section and change it to be the name and password (even if it is blank) that you want. From the description so far, it still sounds like you have it set up to log in with the administrator's account instead.

Basically in this case the computer does what it was configured to do. If when you ran control userpasswords2, you configured it to log in as "administrator" even though you know that doesn't work, it won't work. You need to configure it to log in with the account you want. If even prompts you with "specify a user that will automatically be logged on". While the default that show is "administrator" you need to put in what you want. The computer doesn't know what you want until you configure it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice