1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change in Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xephar, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

My old motherboard got fried... literally somehow, so I got a new one. But now my games crash... not a lot, but from time to time they just lock up... Is this maybe because there is somethign not configured properly on the bios? Is this a common problem when a computer has had a mobo switch?

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Just a few questions...

1) When you installed the new MBO, did you re-install the OS ??

2) Are you over clocking the CPU ??

3) Do you have the most current drivers for the MBO installed ( sometimes the driver CD that was with the MBO, doesn't contain the most current ) ??

3. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows XP over the old one, I didn't reformat my HD... does that matter? And now I am not overclocking, but when I first started my computer whith the new mobo, it said I was running a 433mhz P3 when its actually an 866...

So I went into the bios (American Megatrends or something like that) And I went into the CPu PnP Option... and set the bus speed to 133 and the dram speed to 133 and the multiplier to 2x which made it say its a 866, so that works...

And I believe I have the latest drivers...

4. weeniebeenie

weeniebeenie

As a rule of thumb, I always reformat after installing a new mobo, start everything from scratch ya know?

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

The BIOS sounds right...

When you re-installed XP did you re-install the games as well ??

Because you may have too...

BTW, when I do a MBO change, I allways do a full install, that way it's a clean install...

6. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I reinstaleld the games, yes... and I would love to reformat and do a clean install... but this computer isn't used by just me, its a family computer... and other people have stuff on here they don't wanna lose... I may have to talk them into backing up... Cause my mom has been complaining to me about lock-ups too.

7. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I just installed SiS AGP Drivers... maybe thats what was causing the lockups?

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes...that's possible, also can you go to the website that makes the MBO, and see if there are any updated drivers...

9. brianF

brianF

10. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

The utility says that I am running at 866... when I set the multiplyer to 6 my computer won't even boot... hehe so I like it better at 2...

But I think I fixed the problem, since I installed the AGP Drivers from SiS. And I don't get anymore lockups.

Thanks for the help everone :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice