1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change IP address to static

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by andrewgerm, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andrewgerm

andrewgerm Thread Starter

Good day all

I have a WIndows Vista x64 machine where I would like to set a static IP address.
    The machine is on a small network that gets a DHCP address from a router, but I'm chaning all desktop workstations to static addresses.

The problem is, I can no longer find where to change the IP.
    If I click on the Network desktop icon, and access the netowrk and sharing centre, I get the usual local / network / internet graphic, and all the various options to enable network discovery, etc.

If I click on manage network connections to the left, I get a window showing 'incoming connections'. From there, if I select properties on this, I get a dialogue box with 3 tabs 'general', 'users' and 'network'.
    Under network, I then have IPv4, IPv6, file print sharing, etc.

If I select properties on IPv4, I get a window with the following;
    checkbox saying 'allow callers to access my local area network' which is checked
    Below that assign IP address automatically using DHCP
    Or specify IP address, with boxes for 'from' and 'to' and 'total'
    And a checkbox saying 'allow caller to specify own IP address'

This seems to be for RAS dial-in, or something.

There is no modem on this machine. All I want is to specify the IP for the on-board NIC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. andrewgerm

@etaf

Thank you for the reply. And that is a great tutorial reference.

Unfortunately, when I get to the point in network and sharing centre of clicking manage network, all I get in there are the setting for incoming RAS calls, and nothing to do with the network adaptor or LAN connection, so I am unable to access the setting to change the IP address.

The user account is a local admin, and Vista has all the latest updates.

I have tried every way possible to find / access the settings, but to no avail.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unique (to me) problem. In Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services check to make sure that the following three services are Started. If any is not Started try to start it. (I doubt this will lead anywhere, but it's the only thing I have thought of.)

Network Connections
    Network List Service
    Network Location Awareness

5. andrewgerm

@TerryNet

Thank you. I have tried your suggestion, but all of those are running.
    Normal network and Internet activities are working normally on the machine. Just this issue.

I've sort of run out of ideas. I consider my IT skill rather advanced (I've studied and taught it) but this has me lost. All the searching I've done has come up with nothing, so this must be very rare.

Thank you again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice