Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Change IP for a laptop user.

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  snteran 
#1 ·
We have a user who really has very little knowledge about PC's and has been given an awesome laptop. This user will need to change the IP address from time to time and I have created a batch file using netsh to allow him to change the IP based off of what branch he will be at. The thing is, he does not have sufficient rights to make the change. I am not sure how to grant him access to be able to change the IP address. I don't want to give him admin rights, because the next thing you know, there will be a lot of crappy software on this business laptop. Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

#3 ·
Unfortunately our branches do not use DHCP and in case the user logs into a hotel's high speed that is not wireless, he will need to switch his LAN to DHCP. I have the script to make the needed IP changes, the access is the issue. And of course, not having DHCP servers, which is on the way(6 - 9 months, w/luck).

#4 ·
Hmmm, it's been a while, but it seems to me there's a way you can tell a script to "Run as..." an admin user. I'll hafta dig through all my old notes. What version of Windows is this? With XP Pro, at least, you have a lot more options for controlling user rights.

#5 ·
This is the best software out there for this -

http://www.wingnutsoftware.com/

Encrypted runas.

The nice thing about this is you don't have to write the runas username/password into the batch file (thus allowing users to just look at it). As well you can set this to local Admin or Domain user rights.

Also works with vbs, com, exe, bat files.

So with this solution you can use the netsh command of a batch file or you can run VBS and access the network adapter that way if you wanted to.

#8 ·
Wow - that was easy to setup. However, for $200 I think I will try to find another way to allow my domain user change their IP address. If anyone has a system way to take care of this, that would be great. Although if someone needs a license for a single computer, $6 is a good price.

#11 ·
Like I said you can do it many ways but your limiting your options by not having admin rights.... if you want something free and not secure try this -

http://www.commandline.co.uk/sanur_unsupported/index3.html

This will allow you to use a batch file and still be able to plain text a password for a user account with admin rights.

I don't think your going to find any utility that lets non admins change their TCP/IP settings.

#14 ·
Nickz while alternate configurations can be a solution in some caes I have to point out the posters prior posts.

He mentions "our branches" (make me think this laptop has the probability to hit multiple sites or at least 2), then he mentions "at a hotel" (add's yet another variable depending on the Hotel's configuration), on top of that I think its safe to assume one would assume they use it at home as well.

I am counting about 3 possible different configurations - Banch 1, Branch 2, DHCP - with the possibility of having more.

Unfortunately Alternate configurations only work in a limited set of circumstances but I am not thinking this owuld be of help in this particular scenario. I may be wrong in what I am reading but from the information provided I assumed its more than 2 configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.