change Linux to Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jeffh1234

I am having problems changing operating systems from Linspire 5.0 to Windows ME. does anyone know how to do that?

jiml8

Sure. What is it you want to do? Dual boot? Blow off Linux and install ME (though why anyone would choose to install ME on anything is beyond me)?

Be specific in what you want and we can certainly show you how to do it. Saying "I'm having problems..." is completely useless.

jiml8

To dual boot, it is usually easier to install Windows first. Linux will cheerfully dual boot with windows and when you install a linux distro it finds the windows installation and accommodates it.

Windows, OTOH, isn't so friendly. If you install Windows second, you will then have to manually install a bootloader to do the dual boot. Are you up to this? if not, blow off Linux, then install Windows ME, then come back and reinstall Linux.

You need to partition the drive to accommodate this. One partition FAT for Windows and at least two partitions for Linux. How big is your HD?

I've never installed Linspire but if it's like most Linux systems it will shrink the windows partition and make room for itself.
Therefore use the ME boot floppy to format the HD and install Windows. Then boot with Linux and install it - telling it how much HD space to use, and it will do the rest.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Use a floppy bootdisk and run FDISK. Delete the non-dos partitions. You also need to fix the master boot record. So run this command at a dos prompt from your bootdisk.

fdisk /mbr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online