change modem to netgear wireless router and add laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jjnj

I will be doing this on my friends computer so I need to NOT screw it up.
Go from DSL modem (has only desktop pc on it) to Netgear wireless-G router. Will always have the desktop hooked up and often my laptop(wireless).
Basically I want to disconnect the existing modem...then add the new one...then, if all is well, connect my wireless laptop.
According to the box..I need only put the cd into the pc and follow the instructions? Altho is shows doing this to the laptop,may I start out with the desktop?
Can it be that easy?

Thank you
JJ

DoubleHelix

Banned
The modem connects to the router. If you remove the modem from the setup and only use a router, you won't have an Internet connection

jjnj said:
I will be doing this on my friends computer so I need to NOT screw it up.
Go from DSL modem (has only desktop pc on it) to Netgear wireless-G router. Will always have the desktop hooked up and often my laptop(wireless).
Basically I want to disconnect the existing modem...then add the new one...then, if all is well, connect my wireless laptop.
According to the box..I need only put the cd into the pc and follow the instructions? Altho is shows doing this to the laptop,may I start out with the desktop?
Can it be that easy?

Thank you
JJ

A modem and a router are two different things.

jjnj

so, is the Netgear only a router? AT my home, I hv an ACTIONTEC unit that my DSL comes directly into ...my desktop is connected to it and I can use my laptop..is this different than what I bought? Would I then just bring her modem into the router, and then she would hv 2 pieces of eq?

DoubleHelix

Banned
Not all routers are modems too. Obviously the product information would clearly state this. If it's just a router, then yes, you use both pieces of equipment. They do completely different things.

jjnj

Ok thank you very much...I appreciate the help I may be 68 yrs old, but I still like to "DO IT MYSELF"
Finally,the diagram shows the desktop coming into this unit..and also the modem...On her computer, the dsl telco lines comes into the modem and the ylw cord/line goes to the computer..would I change that to come into this router and so the modem would then only hv the telco line coming in and the cable to bring it into the router also?

Thanks again...not only for the info, but the speed of it!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Supplying the make/model of the devices helps us a lot here. :)

jjnj

Igv the router...NETGEAR wireless G WGR 614 the one at my friends is a WESTELL that was supplied by Verizon when she hooked up!

DoubleHelix

Banned
You connect the modem to the router's WAN port, and then connect the computers to the router.

TerryNet

Terry
What connection will work depends on the answer to John's last question. Unless the Netgear is a very early version it defaults to LAN IP 192.168.1.1 and I think that's the default for Westell modem/routers.

jjnj

Netgear is the latest model(according to saleman). Westell is basic but I will chk the model #.
I will try everthing later today!

Thanks all

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
From the user manual of the WGR614-v6:
This field displays the IP address being used by the Local (LAN) port of the router. The default is 192.168.1.1
This router won't work with the default IP assignment with the conventional connection. You'll need to do one of the following.

• Change the WGR614 router base address
  • Change the modem/router's base address
  • Configure the modem/router in bridge mode
  • Connect the secondary router as indicated below

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

jjnj

wow did I not understand a word of the above...
so the Westell is model 6100 it has a power conn...usb conn(I am not using) an ethernet to the desktop and the input DSL.
the router is 4-port switch has a power input, 4 ports and the cable/dsl modem slot. I see to remove ylw ethernet cable from westell and into Netgear. I do not see how to connect the router back to the modem...or do I reuse the now available ethernet port on the modem?

Am I in over my head????

J

TerryNet

Terry
The Westell 6100 is a modem/router combo, with the same default LAN subnet as the Netgear. So to get the two routers working together you will need to use one of the four options John gave you in post #13.

I think that the 4th option is best, and the first option is 2nd best. If you want to use bridge mode (make the Westell act like a modem only) here are instructions: http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_6100_DSL_Modem_Installation_Guide

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online