1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change motherboard on Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Beeeater, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Apologies if this has been asked before - I recently decided to upgrade my processor on a Vista PC, requiring a new motherboard. With Xp this used to be relatively simple - ensure you have the 'Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller' installed, switch hardware, and install new drivers. With Vista, however, this was the beginning of a huge nightmare. The rebuilt system would simply not boot - It started the process, got to the 'progress bar' very briefly, and then just restarted the PC.
    I spent a whole day scouring the net for solutions. I saw plenty of questions, but no answers. :( The new Vista boot-time repair is a joke - It takes about two hours, and then leaves the system exactly as it was. There is no more 'Repair Install' as there was in XP. It seems that the only way round is to clean install everything from scratch, entailing hours and days of work.
    Has Microsoft screwed its users AGAIN? If there is a reliable method for performing this procedure I sure would be grateful to hear about it.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Does this machine have a OEM OS tied to the original Motherboard?

3. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

I don't know, does it make a difference?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721527