1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenkinsspeedy, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenkinsspeedy

jenkinsspeedy Thread Starter

On a HP Media Center m1160n can the motherboard be used in another computer once it has been installed. The motherboard went out and it was replaced with a new one. The cost was to high and the guy who put it in said it cannot be used in another pc. Just wanting to know if that is true. Thank you for any info on this.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Of course you can reuse motherboards. They sell them in many places. I have a few right here.

Did he give you any valid reason?

3. jenkinsspeedy

he said once you install it into one pc the bios is then set for that one pc. said he can not take it out and reuse it in a different computer.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

He is lying. I wonder why?

5. jenkinsspeedy

I thought so. Thank You. I think hs is just trying to get $750 out of me. It just seemed to be a little high and I told him to take it back out.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even if what he said were true, a new BIOS chip costs $15. You were wise to use your common sense.

Look for motherboards at www.tigerdirect.com to get an idea.

You can get a whole new machine for $750.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/653345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice