1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change my hdd partition from ntsf to Fat 32 without deleting my files ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horne, Jun 24, 2008.

?

which is better ?

1. Fat32

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NTSF

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horne

horne Thread Starter

Can i change my hdd partition from ntfs to Fat 32 without deleting my files ?
    I really hope [​IMG]

2. alan1000

alan1000

Hi Horne - I'm afraid it isn't possible. You can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without losing data, but there is no way to go from NTFS to FAT32. Your only option is to back everything up to another drive, reformat the NTFS drive as FAT32, and then restore everything.

3. horne

horne Thread Starter

Yes i understand .

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Actually Partition Magic can convert from ntfs to fat32 no problem.

5. horne

horne Thread Starter

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

as long as you have no disk corruption and enough room for the operation PM works fine. Run chkdsk /f first, run disk cleanup and defrag the drive. Then run PM. As with any operation you should have a current backup.

PS you have poll.
    Every file system has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. Use the one appropriate for your computer usage.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A better question would be, why would you want to? :confused:

8. alan1000

alan1000

HI Wanderer2,

Thanx for that info, I wasn't aware of that. The conventional wisdom is that it can't be done, but of course someone is always coming up with some way to do it!

9. alan1000

alan1000

ps I also second that bit where you say:

"Every file system has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. Use the one appropriate for your computer usage."

This should be written in letters of gold above all our temples (to quote the poet William Blake). If it's absolutely essential to be able to boot from a floppy drive, for example, then it's no use telling people that NTFS has superior file copy speeds. And lots of people do still have a need to boot from a floppy on occasion. There are still millions of PLC's around the world whose only means of input/output is the floppy disc.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724137