1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change name of Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JonnyDangerously, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonnyDangerously

JonnyDangerously Thread Starter

I need to know how to change the name of a Network Adapter, specifically the Hamachi one. When going to Network Connections, under the Hamachi connection it states its Network Adapter name (also shown as this in Device Manager); Hamachi Network Interface

I need to change Hamachi Network Interface to anything else, other than Hamachi Network Interface, Lets rename it to Local VPN.

I have altared all instances of the name Hamachi Network Interface located in the registry (literally searched for it, and replaced all values and names that stated it with Local VPN instead of Hamachi Network Interface), I even changed all instances within the driver itself, reinstalled the driver, and it still would not altar the name to Local VPN.

I tried going in Device Manager, clicking on Hamachi Network Interface, and pressing F2 (apparently this was supposed to allow me to altar the name) and did not do anything.

I uninstalled, cleaned out all old registry changes, freshly re-installed hamachi, and now I am looking to hopefully try this again.

So to sum it up, where it states under Network Adapters (listing all network interfaces/controllers); I just want to rename this one network adapter name, Hamachi Network Interface, to something else.

2. JonnyDangerously

I forgot to specify, this is on Windows XP Home 32bit

3. JonnyDangerously

Still seeking anyone with the knowledge on renaming a network adapter.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Close all windows and exit Hamachi
    Open Regedit (Start | Run, type Regedit, press Enter)
    Navigate to here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hamachi
    Change Display Name on the Right side as desired
    Navigate to here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\NET\0000

You may have more than just the 0000 folder, check each one until you find the one where DeviceDesc on the right says Hamachi Network Interface
    When you have the correct folder, right click the 0000 key, then click Permissions...
    Click the Add... button, type your username, then click Check Names
    This will format it correctly. Then click OK
    Make sure your name is highlighted, then check the Full Control box
    Click OK.
    Now you can edit the DeviceDesc entry to match what you put for Display Name in the Services\hamachi key.
    Right click the 0000 key, then click Permissions...
    Make sure your name is highlighted, then click Remove
    Click OK and exit the Registry Editor. The new name should now appear both in Device Manager and in Network Connections.

I don't know if the Hamachi client depends on the Display names, but this may prevent Hamachi from being able to update properly, or an update may restore the original name.

And the usual warnings about editing the registry always apply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice