1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change Name?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bradk, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to change the "licensed to" name that comes up when you go into word, excel, powerpoint ........etc. I'm guessing it's not in each individual program but in the registry somewhere?

2. Ginnis12

Ginnis12

This is a shot in the dark...but it's worth a try. In WORD if you go under FILE then select PROPERTIES then click on the SUMMARY tab. I'm not positive but it's worth a shot.

3. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

4. fireboy69

fireboy69

It's going to be in the registry. Run regedit, go to Edit, Find, then type in the name you're looking for. You'll have to hit F3 until you find the entry you're looking for, then change it.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't have a buzzer, but you're all wrong. LOL

Open Word, hit Tools-Options, User info tab. Change it there.

6. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

Whoops... Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! (ME):eek:

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

fenwayrocks
    Thats all right Dreamboat really knows here business apps among other system related problems. You can get out from behind the curtian now.
    Anyway the little toolbox you suggested is very powerful, covers allot of ground, and is simple to use for people that hate registry work.
    Beside most of the stuff supplied in the free version is what most look for and it give you the ability to reset the change back.
    Good tip.
    Dave;)

8. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

Well...I tried all the suggestions above but had no luck. Any other Idea's? Thanks again ALL

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Bradk
    There is a way to change the information in the registry if you wish to work within it.
    I suggest first you create a backup:
    WinME Create a restore point before change.
    Win9x follow these directions...
    Manually back up registry
    Go to start/run and type in
    regedit /e reg.reg and hit enter
    File will be place on desktop for further use if something goes wrong.
    Double click file on desktop to restore old registry.

Once you have created a reg back-up or restore point then go to start\run type in regedit then ok.
    When reg edit screen appears navigate to this key.
    HKey_Local_Machines\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall once there click the plus sign on the uninstall folder. You will now see in the left pane a whole list of numbers
    If you click to highlight a set you will see in the right pane information concerning the application. Click on owner in right pane click edit up top then click modify, and the change popup will appear. Make your changes and click ok. Repeat process for all apps you want to change owners of then click file on top and exit registry.
    See attachment for example.
    Let us know if that works for you.
    Dave

10. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

No Luck.....I know I have scene that long list of numbers in the past. However this time in the location you recommended there were only three "long numbers" to choose from. What I don't understand is, if I try to "FIND" the reg name by going into the "FIND" option it should show me all the things I want to change, and YES I did press F3 until the search was complete. Any other Ideas????? Thanks

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Brad
    That is the only location I am aware of for MS related owner and company info. In fact I double checked in mine and found word2000 works2000 front apge and so on.
    Maybe someone with more indepth knowledge of the registry will respond.
    As for the other question on why it does not find the name on a search that is a good question I am going to ask around to get an answer for.
    Dave

12. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

Dave thanks for your help so far.

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you have Office 97, you need to reinstall to change the name.

14. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

I do have office 97, that is ****ing stupid if that is the case. Thanks for your help.

15. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly

Download ChangeUserInfo only197kb, simple to use, just type in your name (and company if you want), hit "save" and it's done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice