1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change of MP3 Player - FIle Transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Insomniac1979, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Insomniac1979

Insomniac1979 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have purchased a Creative Zen Stone(2GB). I have had a Creative Zen Touch(20GB) for years. My problem is that I have no idea how to get the music off my old player and onto my new one (via my laptop). I have no backup of my music on my laptop(I have changed computer about two years ago) - everything is on the older 20GB player(I have most of the original CD's but would need a month to rip them all). I loaded up my old player with music almost four years ago and haven't added anything since then. I also don't have the orginal installation disk of the older player. I can still sync it no problem to Windows Media Player(It's WMP 10 I think) and add tracks to it but my question is if there is a way of tranferring the music files from my MP3 player onto the hard disk of my computer?

I have tried Copy+Paste from My Computer but when I right-click on the files on the MP3 player there is no option to copy. I think they're read only or something. Arrgghhhh. I've spent hours trying to sort this and have to admit defeat! Any ideas??

2. Blackwing

Blackwing

USB data cable, if your bigger player supports it. It would also work with the Zen Stone. I have a 1 GB model and the cable does wonders.

3. Insomniac1979

Insomniac1979 Thread Starter

Thanks Blackwing. Now this is probably a really silly question but is a USB Data cable different to the normal USB cable that is supplied with MP3 players, cameras etc. I have no problem with my computer "recognising" my docked mp3 player with the cable I'm using - it's just that I can only transfer files in one direction, computer to mp3 player and want to transfer in the other direction ie, player to PC.

Thanks again.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Doesn't it appear as a normal drive in Computer so you can open it and copy the files?

(Try Dietmp3 sometime. You can put double the music on your drive in the same space.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice