1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change of router problems with network printer and server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Matthow, May 22, 2019.

1. Matthow

Matthow Thread Starter

Hi, I have several computers on a network, running windows 10, in addition I have a Sharp printer on the same network and a standalone server, all the server does is it has 4 folders where stuff we scan on the sharp machine goes into the folders encrypted. Yesterday I disconnected my Draytec Vigour Router and Connected the latest Business Hub from BT after changing my broadband plan. Since then, the server is not working, we are unable to access our scan folders, and the printer isn't working. The computers however are working fine. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix this? For the time being I've reconnected the Draytec Router to have all systems working as normal. The idea of the new router is that I have the 4g backup when the broadband goes down which it does regulary, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello Matthow, and welcome to TSG.

Without you supplying any of your network configuration details, I am going to make a wild guess and say that the most likely cause of your problem is a combination of:

1) Both routers act as DHCP servers

2) The routers have different LAN sub-net IP address ranges.

3) The server and printer use static IP addresses based on the old router's sub-net IP addresses and cannot connect to the new router and therefore to each other or other devices on the network.

4) The computers use DHCP to obtain their IP addresses from either router and are able to communicate with either router and with each other.

Please correct any of my assumptions that are incorrect and supply all of the network configuration details for the new router, printer, server, and at least one of the computers that can connect.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My guess is 2) and that the network scheme is different on the router. I suspect if you change the LAN information on the new router to match the old one that should take care of this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice