change of router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hardtech

Hi All, :)

My office is presently using Linksys E1200 DD-WRT router with Wifi. I'm planning to change the router as the network performance is very slow. So I'm planning to upgrade the device. Can you please suggest good routers/ Firewalls with Wifi? Presently my DHCP is also the router and 192.168.1.75 T0 150 is the DHCP range. I want to give same range in the future device too....

Also i want to know if I choose a firewall without wifi and another ACESS point so i can place the AP in the middle of office for better range how will I assign the DHCP? (as my both wired and wireless networks use same DHCP address class and range)

Please suggest a good models of both firewall/router with wifi and a ACCESS point!

Also i have a WD sentinen 4100 which is slow in network will replacing the router fix its performance so i can buy a new storage as WD space is already out

Thanks in Advance

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How many devices are connected onto the network?

What type of network protocols/traffic is traversing your network?

How many concurrent connections?

Do you need guest access?

Are there any special security requirements needed by the business?

What's your budget?

How large is the floor space we're talking about?

Unless the office area is really small, I always shy away from using an all in one solution for a business application (ie wireless router/firewall). In my home, I have a SonicWall TZ400W (not using the built in wireless) and a Cisco ASA5505 (soon to be replaced by a SonicWall E6500). For primary wireless access, I'm using a Dell PowerConnect W620 wireless controller with various APs spread around the house. The DHCP services for wireless clients are not being handled by the 620 controller but the ASA5505.

hardtech

1)Devices connected around 30 PCS mostly laptops with wifi and around 30 mobile phones by same users.

2). There are no databases over network , except using outlook mails so i believe its normal HTTP/HTTPS protocols and file sharing protocols that transverse. Main reason for replacement is the NAS is connected to router which is just fast ethernet. So i believe any device connected to fast ethernet ports will be slow even if the switch isGIGABIT switch right? I know LAN traffic completely use only switch but if storage is connected to fastethernet it will behave as fast ethernet only right?

3). Presently not using any guest access. Yes if there is an option in device for guess access it can be. Not mandatory.

4). No special requirement like VPN as of now...But i have a doubt if i purchase fortinet devices without license will it work fine or a sophos or any other device?

5)Budget would be around 3000-4000 DIRHAMS (1000-12000$). it depends on approval, if not approved i will have to go with any normal tri band routers same like E1200

5). Right now the modem is placed in ground floor in the middle side of the building. and it has one more floor . E1200 can give range ...but definitely the speed is less and it hangs at particular period of day alsmot same time...where i need to manually restart the device

6)I want clear picture on the DHCP side. As you must be aware both wired and wireless devices are in one network now and is assigned by the router. Is it possible if i purchase new one to assign the same way? Or router will assign one network and AP will assign other network? Or both assigns IP and makes conflict each time? I believe its possible to make one device to assign DHCP address. But before i purchase i want to be sure

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When you take on the responsibility for doing IT work in a business setting, you have to let go of concepts which predominate SOHO environments such as the emphasis on coverage. Coverage means nothing in a business environment as the more important aspect is the number of client devices projected to connect to a particular access point. Going by a worse case scenario based on how many wireless clients you've indicated, you're expecting a SOHO wireless router to be able to support 60 client devices. Not happening. I work with dedicated APs which have a recommended maximum number of associated wireless clients at 50 if they're only doing intermittent network access such as web surfing. These APs cost around $1000.

The reason I ask about the network traffic is because it is extremely important in figuring out the appropriate wireless topology to implement based on network usage. If all of your clients are doing only web surfing, then a single high performance AP might suffice. But it looks like there's other things going on such as email and especially CIFS/SMB file access. The file share aspect is going to crush that Linksys wireless router. Even the APs I've referenced above can't support a large number of wireless clients properly if there is a taxing network session(s) being handled by the same AP. To give you an indication on how dramatic this performance impact is, the AP I'm talking about drops to about 15 or so wireless devices maximum if these clients are doing things like video streaming. The other aspect of why performance drops on sustained high bandwidth sessions is due to the half duplex nature of how wireless operates. The longer a wireless device has to communicate over the RF space the longer the other wireless devices have to wait before they can transmit. This applies to the AP itself too. If the AP is transmitting data to a particular wireless client, nothing is being received by the AP until that transmission is complete. One of the new specs of the phase 2 802.11ac roll out is multiuser MIMO which attempts to work around the one device talking at a given time issue. When APs are deployed for a business environment, the APs are positioned in areas where there is the largest concentration of devices with multiple APs if needed if the wireless clients are dense there. A business class AP system will be able to divert wireless clients to other non busy APs to help with load balancing. Note there has been zero discussion about coverage.

Yes, if the NAS is plugged into a 100Mbit Ethernet port, then the NAS can only communicate at 100Mbit. What's unclear is how heavily the NAS is being accessed and if the problem is the physical network connection speed, the NAS just not being able to keep up due to its own hardware limitations, or it's a wireless issue as I referenced above.

Guest access functionality would be in the form of a captive portal system. How complex this captive portal system depends on how much you want to spend on it. There are systems which give a very basic web page which you can put in a terms of use messaging and a login prompt. The more complex systems allow very elaborate custom web pages which doesn't require any admin interaction in allowing guest devices onto the guest network. The system prompts for certain information such as a corporate point of contact. Once this information is entered, the system generates an email sent over to the corporate point of contact. The email states so and so is looking to access the guest network, do you grant permission. There is a link the user clicks which automatically approves access. The other security features I had in mind which was not what you were thinking about with VPN access, is if deep packet inspection, IDS/IPS, and content filtering is important.

As far as the DHCP question, I already stated I'm doing this now. With most equipment you can turn off the DHCP server feature of the device if it's not needed. The 620 wireless controller can act as a DHCP server but I'm not using the 620's DHCP server to provide IP address assignments for my wireless clients. However the 620 is providing IP addressing for the APs it is managing. All the IP addresses being assigned by to the wireless clients on my network are being done at the ASA 5505.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online