1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change OS but no motherboard drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peter20166, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peter20166

peter20166 Thread Starter

Hi ,

I have a PIII pc 256ram which is using wins ME and keep having wins errors and wants to change it to wins 2000 but I have lost the motherboard drivers CD.
    I went to the Motherboard maker website and downloaded the :
    1. Soundcard driver
    2. Modem driver
    3. VGA driver

I was only able to download from US site and unable to download from Taiwan site ,is there any difference.
    Can I know is there any other drivers that I need to download before I am Fully equiped with the drivers to change the OS.

Thanks .

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Chipset update for the mobo. Which motherboard are we speaking of?

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I use a program called Driver Magician. You can download a free trial and save your drivers. There are several options for saving the drivers either individually or as an executable and save all your drivers or just the drivers you need.

Personally, I love the program, no more searching the internet for some "rare" driver. :D

4. Vaillant

Vaillant

The location from where you downloaded doesn't make a difference (merely a proxy).
    If you need any other drivers depends if there is any other hardware in the PC ...
    What is the type of mobo and are there any extra PCI cards in your PC?
    Don't forget about peripherals like printer, scanner, ...

5. photolady

photolady

That would be fine if the member is using the same o/s, but changing o/s's requires changing drivers.

As others have said, when changing os's make sure you remember your scanner or printer or other hardware you have attached or installed via pci cards, modem, etc.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah and remember too the change to Windows 2000, will change almost every driver from Me!

7. peter20166

Thanks for the reply.

I have a ECS P6stp-fl motherboard PIII 933mhz with SIS 630 on board VGA with 2 PCI slots empty.
    I have no printer or scanner attached.So I just want to change the OS from win ME to win 2000 will the downloaded modem,VGA and sound drivers be enough for me to install ,or do I need Bios driver or any other driver for motherboard ONLY.Other Hardware like Scanner,printer can find later, main thing is to get the OS running First.Because almost everytime will have a certain error remark for the Wins ME, which I suspect the registry or something is faulty,so better change the OS before the Blue screen of Death appears.

Thanks again

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I didn't phrase my answer very well. Basically, I was relating to motherboard drivers which are the hardest to find, especially for proprietary boards.

Win2kpro has a very good driver base and will probably have most of the other drivers he needs.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

yes true providing he is using Sp4

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would download Service Pack 4 and have it ready on CD to install right after installing Windows and before installing any drivers.

11. peter20166

Thanks for reply.

I have the Cd is wins 2000 SP4 ,so Now is safe to change the OS Right.
    I will feedback if there is any other drivers shortage or the OS does not work.

Thanks again.

12. Mayank

Mayank

You can change the OS. As mentioned previously location wont be a problem, however keep in mind the sequence of driver installation.
    1. Any ATA Card
    2. Chipset
    3. Video
    4. Sound
    5. Communication
    6. Network
    7. USB

13. photolady

photolady

But as has already been said, w2k w/sp4 will most probably and most usually have all the drivers you need.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It may have drivers, but the manufacturer probably has new drivers that add more features, improve performance, and improve compatibility.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice