1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change owner of a photo file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Iggy9570, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iggy9570

Iggy9570 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3454 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 182927 MB, Free - 128178 MB; D: Total - 7852 MB, Free - 896 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Hematite-XL
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I am the Administrator of my PC. My husband is a general user. I try to go into Photo Gallery to open pictures to attach to emails and the message I get is: "Photo Gallery can't open the photo because you do not have permission to access file location."

I tried to change the owner of the file but it won't change. I can't access any of my photos which are in a Kodak file because I downloaded them from my camera.

Please help!
    TIA

2. renegade600

renegade600

try taking ownership

1. In Windows Explorer, open the file or folder’s Properties dialog box by right-clicking the file or folder and then clicking Properties.
    2. On the Security tab, click Advanced to display the Advanced Security Settings dialog box.
    3. On the Owner tab, click Edit.This opens the Advanced Security Settings dialog box for editing.
    4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner.If you’re taking ownership of a folder, you can take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder by selecting the Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
    5. Click OK twice when you have finished.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff404240.aspx

3. Iggy9570

Iggy9570 Thread Starter

Why would I go to IE? I use FireFox as my browser. I went to my Control panel and changed as per your instructions and the link you provided. Thank you but it didn't work. It said that I owned the folder but it still won't open for me. It seems to me to be such a simple fix but no luck.

Anything else I should try?
    Thanks.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    That is "Windows Explorer" NOT "Internet Explorer"!

Windows Explorer is My computer. My Documents.

5. Iggy9570

Iggy9570 Thread Starter

Sorry. I misread. Will do as above.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice