change PDF file to one I can edit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imawriter

I have written an 8 page paper that I want to edit. Somehow I saved it in Adobe as a PDF file which I cannot copy or edit. How can I move it and save it as a regular text document in My Documents so that I can edit it and then print it.

Thanks.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You will need Adobe Acrobat or similar to edit. I do not know one that is free offhand.

If the default settings included permission to copy and paste from the pdf file-- You could highlight a page or section, right click and select copy----- Then paste it into Word (or any word processor).

Setting your pdf viewer (like Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader) to view a whole page at a time on the screen helps you to select all the text on the given page.

Another possibility, depending upon the software you own, is to use OCR software (I use Abbyy Fine Reader). Some OCR software has the option to read the text from a graphic file, like jpg or, in this case, pdf. Just check the options if you have OCR software- I'm not aware of all the OCR software that allows this- but easy to check on your sftware.

good luck (frustrating when you think you saved it in one format and actually done in another)
letchworth

imawriter

I don't know of any that is free, either. Since I don't use it I really don't want to pay for it.

Thanks anyway.

imawriter

I tried to highlight it so that I could copy and paste but it would not let me do that.
And I don't have OCR software. I'm strictly a Word person. That's why I don't know how it ended up as a PDF file.

Thanks anyway.

imawriter

Sorry, I was responding to Couriant. I will try the free one you cited.

Thanks.

imawriter

To Rick in Fla

I finally got to the Smart PDF site and noticed that there was a free trial for conversion to Word but when I followed all the rest of the pages I came to one that said I could only do three pages free, and I have eight, so I got out.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

imawriter

To ipwnos

I tried that site but was not able to follow it. I got Notepad one time, and just dotted lines another... and still others but no matter what I tried I was not able to copy my pages to Word. But I appreciate your taking the time to e-mail me.

I use neither Word nor Adobe. But I am very curious how you
can save a document in Adobe and have it converted into a
.PDF file? I thought all Adobe products except the Reader
had to be purchased?

imawriter

Maybe it has to do with Acrobat Reader or Acrobat.com,,, both of which I have. Your guess is as good as mine.

Acrobat.com is online - and yes, that would do it.

Not having used that, does it simply save a new .PDF file on
your hard drive - and leaves intact, the original that you uploaded?
In other words, are you sure you don't have an original .DOC file
from Word sitting somewhere on your hard drive?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use neither Word nor Adobe. But I am very curious how you
can save a document in Adobe and have it converted into a
.PDF file? I thought all Adobe products except the Reader
had to be purchased?
There is a free document to PDF that will save your document into PDF... cant remember the name though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online