1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change program default to Unknown Program in win 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sidd23, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sidd23

sidd23 Thread Starter

I searched the site for a while and couldn't find an answer.... so I decided to post my question... sorry if this has been asked before.

Somehow every .dat file on my computer (using win 7) has been set to open with notepad as the default.... these files were from gta 4. At first I didnt noticed..but when a started the game it crashed.. but later realized that the problem never occurred before I noticed all the .dat files as default set to open with notepad.

What I need to know is how to set the properties of my .dat files to read as Unknown application instead of Notepad.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

My .dat files open up with Nero Showtime.....it doesn't affect any of my games.

Where did you get the game from?

3. sidd23

sidd23 Thread Starter

the .dat file are from gta 4 game directory..i changed its properties to notepad and by mistake set to always open with notepad....and every time i start the game it crashes.......i need to change back the dat file to ukow application
    and i having the game dvd
    pls help

4. Megabite

Megabite

Is this Windows 7 or Windows XP as you are in Windows XP section?

It shouldn't affect the game...but you can try System Restore to a date before you changed the file association

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can remove the association with Unassoc. But the association for .dat is irrelvant and changes often on a busy system since it is a type used by many apps and pretty much already an "unassociated" file-type, as Megabite has said.

6. sidd23

sidd23 Thread Starter

MEGABITE thanxx but i already restored my system.....also, elvandil thanxx for your sugestion

7. sidd23

sidd23 Thread Starter

hey pls help someone .i loaded a new game but i need key 4 num to sit in car i dont have num keys in my laptop i also tried to chage controls but there is no such control there.pls help someone

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020286