1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

change READ ONLY disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doowle, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doowle

doowle Thread Starter

how can or can I change a floppy disk from "READ ONlY" to one that I can read and write to? I am runnning windows 98.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

There is a sliding tab in the corner of the floppy move it so that the hole is closed

3. Dan O

Dan O

Diskettes have two holes at the bottom of them, which controls read-only. If both are opened it's write protected. To unprotect it slide the tab to cover one of the openings.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    you need to cover the (if looking at bottom) the right side... actually the only side that has the slidey thing

5. doowle

doowle Thread Starter

6. doowle

doowle Thread Starter

thank you but I failed to tell you that I was refering to a cd-r disk

7. junker39

junker39

You cannot change a cd from read only because it is not posible to change what's written on the disk. Once it's burned to the disc, it's there permanately. If it was a cd-rw, yes, it could be set up to change things.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or you would have had to make it a Multi-session CD when you first started. Then you could keep adding to it until the space was used up.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well that's a big difference from a CD-R :D:D:D:D But Triple6 and Junker are correct. CD-Rs are write once (essentially read only). You can set the CD-R to keep storing files until the CD is full by using 'Keep CD open' or something similar. If you want to write a small amount of files on a CD-R and then *lock* it (as in no more files can be added) then choose Finalize Disc or Close Disk. I don't know CD-RWs that much because I use CD-Rs more often so I know Triple would be right about CD-RWs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/310545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice