1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change Registered Computer Info

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lschul, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

In most of my applications, it can bring up the name of my computer, I just installed MS Publisher and it brings up my company name which is great but the word "Mountain" is abbreviated and I want it to read Mountain. I go in to control panel, system and it shows it there as being Mtn...is there any way to change that?

2. Lance1

Lance1

See Image...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

To change the registered owner or registered organization, you're going to need to edit the registry using regedit or a third party registry editor.

Most applications get the information from these two key values:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOwner, and
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOrganization.

A few third part apps get the information there, and then create their own registry entries, and then use those (so you might have to do lots of editing).

If you just want to change the computer name, do what Lance1 posted.

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I see how to change the computer name, thanks, but that isn't what I need. When I go to control panel, system, under the General Tab it has my name which is fine, then my company which reads "Rocky Mtn" rather than "Rocky Mountain" which is what I would like to change it to. I am not sure I want to mess with the registry. If I have to do that, I will just let this annoyance alone. Thanks!

5. Augie65

Augie65

Here is a guide from Microsoft like Frank4d suggested. Just create a restore point before you make the change just in case.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Thanks!

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Type or paste the following string at a command prompt and hit enter:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v RegisteredOrganization /t REG_SZ /d "Rocky Mountain" /f

Note: REG is a command that works in XP (not in NT/2000).

Edit: Thought I would explain exactly what this does since you are understandably leary of editing the registry:
    REG ADD = runs reg.exe with the command to add something to the registry or edit something already there.
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" = the registry key to add or edit.
    /v RegisteredOrganization = the value to add or edit.
    /t REG_SZ = the data type for the value to add or edit.
    /d "Rocky Mountain" = the data to add or edit.
    /f = force the change, even if it conflicts with something already there (which in your case is already "Rocky Mtn").

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice