1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change Registered Name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dividertabs, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dividertabs

dividertabs Thread Starter

My new laptop came preinstalled with Windows XP. When it booted up, it asked me who would be using this computer, saying something about how it would create new profiles for them. I whimsically decided to enter "THE KING" (to be the admin) and "peasant" (for other users).

Apparently that was a bad idea because now it says the computer is registered to THE KING (for example, when you click My Computer, then properties). Is there any way to change it?

2. Sid9678

Sid9678

Please note that this is for WINDOWS 2000 I'm not sure if it's the same for Windows ME or Windows XP but you can try it at your own risk. Here's what to do: Click on start>RUN and type regedit and hit enter. The Registry will open now. Expand on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by clicking on the + sign in front of it and now to the same to the following:
    Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version. Now in the right pane look for RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner. The RegisteredOrganization if you want to put a Business name in there and the RegisteredOwner will be for your name.

3. dividertabs

dividertabs Thread Starter

Thank you, Sid. It did work.

4. Sid9678

Sid9678

you said it worked correct? Then good now I know it works on Windows XP as well.

5. Sid9678

Sid9678

You're Welcome

6. elawen

elawen

I read this reply and tried the same thing but it didnt work. I couldn't find any "RegisteredOwner" or anything. Could this work only for a specific XP? I have XP Home Edition

7. Sid9678

Sid9678

That should work for Windows XP Home Edition as well. It's the same for Home Edition. Maybe you overlooked RegisteredOwner maybe you should double check it and make sure you didn't skip a step or look good.

8. elawen

elawen

Oh yeah..hehe *embarrassed face* realised it only later.

I've changed the registered owner name now, but the file name for the documents and settings is still in the old name. It still reads C:\Documents and Settings\someone else's name\..... Is there any way I can change that as well? If I try renaming it, it doesnt work

9. Sid9678

Sid9678

That's most likely because you are logging onto the computer with the person's account that is why you see that persons name still on the folder in Documents and Settings or also if you're using another user name lets say your name to log in *** then every User account that's are or have been on your computer will stay there unless you delete that folder. If you delete that account the folder with that user name will stay there in Documents and Settings until you delete that folder. Changing the Registration name chnages all installed programs that was installed by the previous user to your name etc but not folders.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/255812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice