Change Removeable disk to local disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Codydurango

My hard drive "C" shows up as "Removeable Disk" instead of "Local Disk" how do I change that?

The main reason I need to change it, is that Norton System Works will not install due to the fact that it thinks the drive is not the hard drive.

Thank you for any input...

Codydurango

It's just Windows Explorer, all I have is:
31/2 Floppy
C: Removeable Drive
D: CDROM

That's it, I don't have time to re-format the disk. I just want to change it to show as "Local Disk" install the Norton and be done with it.

Styxx

Banned
simply rename the drive to Local Disk [C:]. plus using that NSW is a bad idea, but that's just me.

Codydurango

Thanks for your help Styxx.

That won't work, if you look at the properites of the drive right under the box where you can name the drive, it says:

Type: Removeable Drive

I have to change the type, I would think it could be done in the registry, but I don't know where.

Couriant

James
I know what you mean. Does the icon take you to the C:\ directory?

Also check your Device Manager and under Disk Drives there should be 2 IDE listings

Codydurango

Thanks you got me close.

Device Manager
IDE Hard Drive
Properties
Settings Tab
Un-Check "Removeable Drive"
Re-boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online