change root directory for certain users on win xp professional

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

_cs

I want to set up a guest account which cannot access c: (or d:, e: or any drive directly), in fact the user should not be able to access anything above his own profile directory %USERPROFILE% (e.g. c:/documents and settings/<USERNAME>/* is allowed, c:/documents and settings/ or c:/ is forbidden)
The problem of course is that programmes started by that user must be able to access their own programme folders, but calling a file selector dialogue within the programme may only allow access to objects inside user's %USERPROFILE%. Even typing e.g. "c:\" must not work.

Anyone can help?

Chris

The system in question is a win xp professional sp 3.

Is this in a domain environment or a standalone PC environment?

_cs

Wow, thank you for your prompt response!

And sorry, forgot to state this: it's a NON-domain/standaloned environment.
The pc is in a network, but without windows domains set up and without dc.

_cs

1) The problem with gpedit is - as far as I understand it - that it affects all users on a computer, and this is NOT what I want

2) Hiding drive letters: I already had the idea to make X: or W: or whatever other than C make the system drive. But as far as I know in Windows© this produces more problems than it solves... :)
But without that hiding drive letters makes no sense, because anybody knows that C is the system drive...

3) And a default save location is - well - just the default suggestion ...
Anybody can always change it...

sorry, but I need mandatory rules. Gpedit offers this, but not selectively for certain users, but for all. Not what I need.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online