Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Change Root User Name

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jamiecturner 
#1 ·
I have recently done a clean install of 7(x64) and while installing I dropped my keybord at the stage where you enter your username, it skipped forward and I was unable to go back, therefore setting the username to 'h'(a key that must have been hit during the fall). Once installed I have renamed the computer from h-PC and also changed the username in accounts however the root user folder in c:\Users\ is still called 'h'. Is there a way to change this without creating a new account, as I have transferred ~300gb of data already before I realised it didnt change it in this place. It is particularly annoying when I try to connect from another computer as I have to login with 'h' as the username.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

#2 ·
if you create a new account - make sure admin
you can then transfer that data between the accounts from h to the newone

if you only have one user on the machine why worrry about the user name

#4 ·
Welcome to TSG!

Create a new account, then move the data to it, don't copy. Moving data on the same partition takes almost no time, as Windows only updates the pointer to the file, it doesn't actually move the data.

Be far easier than trying to find all the registry entries and AppData files that would need to be changed to rename the folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.