Change To Google Authentication Disable My old Email Client

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Joephilippa

My email account is with Google (Gmail), and through POP & SMTP, I access it in THE OBSOLETE (but still quite functional) Windows Live Mail (WLM 2012). Google has emailed me that from August I have no choice but to go with TwoStepVerification (2SV), so I set it up immediately. Since then, WLM did not stop asking me for my Google password, until I cancelled the 2SV. That solves my problem for now, but not beyond July. I already have Google set to allow less secure apps. Does anybody know a way of satisfying WLM's craving for a password under 2SV ?

Couriant

James
The Less Secure Apps may not be what you need. I have 2 google accounts, one that is a personal one and one from g-suite. The personal one has App Password, which is what you need to create for your WLM 2012. For some reason my g-suite one does not have that ability, just less secure apps... I am guessing my organization has disabled that as I am sure we had that ability before.

Is your google account your personal account, or through some company / email host?

If your windows live mail doesn't quite work with gmail, then it is not fully functional, don't you agree? Got to keep up with the times, my friend, and use an up to date and maintained email client, like Thunderbird.

Joephilippa

Couriant - Gmail is personal only - no company involved.

Lunarlander - why do you recommend Thunderbird over Windows mail ?

Couriant

James
OK, when you turned on less secure apps, was there any option to create an App Password?

Joephilippa

It happened a long time ago - I do not remember. But I know I had to supply the Google password when I set up the POP/SMTP system.

Couriant

James
OK, but if you go to your account online, do you have the App Password option in Security? If not, then use this Google link to check your settings to enable the App Password. From what I read, you need 2FA on in order to use the App Password so you can create a secret password for WLM 2012 to use.

Having said that, Thunderbird is the more common, free e-mail client that most IT-savvy people uses. Windows Mail is a basic client compared to Thunderbird. If you are on Windows 10, then I would suggest Windows Mail.

Joephilippa

"go to your account online" My Google account ?
"do you have the App Password option in Security?" I can't see 'App Password' in Google's Security. "Less secure apps' is ON.
'you need 2FA on in order to use the App Password' There is '2 step verification (2SV)', but I can not see any reference to 2FA.
If I have to change clients, then Windows mail would be my choice. I did try Thunderbird years ago, but preferred W.L.M.

Couriant

James
I'm sorry .. 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) = 2 Step Verification (2SV). I just used different terminology but it's the same thing. You should see App Password once you have turned on 2 Step Verification.

1625703900710.png

Joephilippa

I'm sorry .. 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) = 2 Step Verification (2SV). I just used different terminology but it's the same thing. You should see App Password once you have turned on 2 Step Verification.

View attachment 289068
I saw hints to that effect in the URL you gave me AFTER I made my reply post. The way I read it, I can get a new lease of life on my W.L.M. by setting that password. That is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. In case that is correct I thank you from the bottom of my heart for showing me a way out of my dilemma that does NOT require changing email clients.

Couriant

James
No worries! Just know that there may be a point where google will stop all together to support older clients and only do modern authentication so you may want to also add your account to the new Mail client in Windows 10 so you can get used to it. (or whatever best email client shows up at the time)

Joephilippa

I've set up the two step verification and copied the Google supplied App password into Windows Live Mail.
It passed a send & receive test. Thank you so much

Couriant

James
Awesome! Just a side note, by default Google Mail uses IMAP. In your original post you stated that you use POP. Is your WLM set to save a copy on the server?

Joephilippa

I can access my email from Gmail as well as in WLM, so I guess 'saving a copy to the server' is enabled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online