Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Change User Name

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob Cerelli 
#1 ·
Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

#4 ·
I followed your instructions and the User Name is OK, but my
Documents & Settings folder contains 4 folders:

1. All Users
2. Default Users
3. John Kirk <== This folder contains 2312 files & 107 folders and
is the one that I would like to make a name change.
4. Owner

When I try to change the name, I get a message "John Kirk is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed".

Is there anyway to rename it?

Thanks

#7 ·
BIOS is a hardware level, user names are not involved.

Are you following our instructs or manually trying to rename the folder within My Computer or Windows Explorer?

Another option is create a new user and copy and paste the data to the new name.

#8 ·
I am having the same problem. The well-meaning friend who installed XP for me spelled my name wrong and it's driving me bats! I have changed the "user name" as described in the previous post (very simple)...but the mis-spelled version still pops up at various times. I searched for files and folders with incorrect spelling and found two: one under Documents & Settings and one under Adobe Acrobat which I was able to change...plus I deleted bunches of cookies. When I try to change the folder I get a message that says "XXX is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It can not be moved or renamed." Any other solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.