1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Change User Name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rafty, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rafty

Rafty Thread Starter

Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Dan O

Dan O

Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, the user name, and Change the Name option.

4. Mollie

Mollie

Yep, through the User Accounts settings in the Control Panel. After accessing User Accounts, choose "change an account," and follow the instructions. It's pretty self-explanatory. :cool:

Mollie

5. Rafty

Rafty Thread Starter

I followed your instructions and the User Name is OK, but my
    Documents & Settings folder contains 4 folders:

1. All Users
    2. Default Users
    3. John Kirk <== This folder contains 2312 files & 107 folders and
    is the one that I would like to make a name change.
    4. Owner

When I try to change the name, I get a message "John Kirk is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed".

Is there anyway to rename it?

Thanks

6. Rafty

Rafty Thread Starter

Is this folder name contained in the BIOs?

7. Rafty

Rafty Thread Starter

Is this no-name change instruction contained in the BIOs?

8. Dan O

Dan O

BIOS is a hardware level, user names are not involved.

Are you following our instructs or manually trying to rename the folder within My Computer or Windows Explorer?

Another option is create a new user and copy and paste the data to the new name.

9. Angellsmith

Angellsmith

I am having the same problem. The well-meaning friend who installed XP for me spelled my name wrong and it's driving me bats! I have changed the "user name" as described in the previous post (very simple)...but the mis-spelled version still pops up at various times. I searched for files and folders with incorrect spelling and found two: one under Documents & Settings and one under Adobe Acrobat which I was able to change...plus I deleted bunches of cookies. When I try to change the folder I get a message that says "XXX is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It can not be moved or renamed." Any other solutions?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The information you got in a previous post does not change the directory name in the Documents & Settings. It only changes the displayed name.

To do what you want you would need to create a new user.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!