Change username w/o losing settings?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

halcour

I need to be able to transfer various folders in My Documents back and forth between my home computer and my work computer using Acronis True Image. The problem is I have a different user name on each system and Acronis backs up the whole path. So I need to make both usernames the same. How do I do this? Is there a way to create a new user on my work computer and just delete the old one w/o losing my desktop settings? (I have admin privileges.) I'm using XP Pro. I'd really like to keep my settings if possible.

Thanks,
Harold

Go to your Control Panal \ User Accounts, and change the name. you will not lose data or settings.

Attachments

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I believe that just changes the login name. It doesn't change the path to your Documents and Settings folder.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Seems like there would be a better program than Acronis to do this task. Maybe like Cobain Backup or TaskZip.

There are probably some Synchronization programs out there that would probably do a better job as well. I have seen a few mentioned in the past but cannot remember the names of them off hand.

halcour

Actually Acronis is great for this, and I also transfer other folders w/no problem, it's just the Documents and Settings folder that's the problem. I also use Acronis for cloning and regular backups so it's definitely the one I'm going to use, even if I end up having to reset my desktop.

Thanks,
Harold

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Well, you could probably create a new user on your other computer and copy your profile over from your old user to your new user. You will get most of your system setting from your old user but you might have put some icons back on your desktop. I am not sure if the icons on your desktop are saved in your profile. I don't believe they are.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I simply move My Documents to a different folder on my data drive. There's nothing that says you have to keep it in the profile. Right click on My Documents, and you can move it anywhere you like.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, but since I like the My Documents folder to be with my data, and not buried in my profile anyway, I do it my way. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online