change users on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Toppermk6

Hi all
I currently have 2 users on my home computer, me and my partner. We had the guy in the shop set up the accounts when we had the pc built, but we now find it a pain when we have to keep swapping over, so can anyone direct me in the correct way of closing down my partners account, or username, and just having the one username but with all the saved data from my partners account still there.

Also, when my partner signs on to her account, we get MSN messenger automatically loading, and she doesnt use |MSN, so how do i stop this too?

If i disable, or remove the programe MSN, it wont disrupt any other things will it?
I personally dont use MSN..........but not sure if AOL uses it?

help again please.

Ok, let me address your problems one by one.

First the Accounts Problem: You want to delete the other user's account, right? That will be easy as long as you have Administrator Privileges. If you do then, this won't be a problem and the following articles will help you in doing so:

User Accounts overview
How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

Now, I would like to warn you about some things. Whenever you delete an user's account, all his settings and files will be lost. So make sure you have everything backed up before you mess things up.

Your second problem probably needs some more explanation. You said that when he logged into his account, MSN would automatically start up. Does this happen in your account too or just in his account? If it happens in his account, then deleting the account will simply get rid of the problem too. But if it occurs in both the accounts, then it is a common setting in MSN that you must find and change. Hope that helps. Good Luck.(y)

The basics are pretty simple.

Copy all the files from his My Documents folder (and any other one) to your My Documents folder. If that user can't access your folder, then create another directory on the C: drive and copy the files there. Might also do the same with Favorites. Include any other files that may be needed as well like e-mail. Document any settings unique to that account like e-mail.

Log in with the account you want to keep and make sure you can access all those files.

Once you know everything works from the account you want to keep, then delete the other account and it's directory.

Toppermk6

Thanks Guys.......................I will have a go and let you both know how i went on.

I may send you a PM.................thanks for the offer.
(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online