1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed Attributes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hughie, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hughie

hughie Thread Starter

:confused: I hope someone can help me please! I am running xp pro and I wanted to show all my hidden folders, so I went and changed my attributes to hidden thinking that it would do the trick wrong!!! now I cann't see any windows associated files on my desktop or in explorer. Please could you help me to:
    1. Restore my original settings.
    2. Also how to show all hidden files and folders.

Many thanks Hughie

2. zmaster

zmaster

ok to show hidden files go to windows explorer (by pressing the windows key and e). click tools --> folder options --> view --> put the dot in the "show hidden files and folders" instead of "do not show hidden files and folders".

You changed your attributes to hidden? undo that.

3. hughie

hughie Thread Starter

Dear Zmaster

Thanks for the help everything nearly back to normal except one thing I cann't get my quick start icons back that were on the left handside of my start menu. Can you tell me how to get them back?

Many thanks for your help Hughie

4. zmaster

zmaster

well from my experience (which is very little with xp so far) is that the quick start icons that are on the left hand side of the start menu are put there automatically by how often you run the program/s. So by doing a manual start (ie start --> programs --> then run the program this way) and it should put an icon there. If not, i really don't know. I just created a new tool bar and put it on the left side of my screen and put all my short cuts to my programs on it

5. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy hughie, You can also get your quick start icons back by right clicking on the far right bottom hand task bar, select properties (from the menu that pops up, don't accidentally click on an icon tho) select start menu/customize/advanced/ select the items you wish and make any changes you require then Bob should be your uncle!!!Any shortcuts you want for programmes, I think you right click on them and create a shortcut that way. Hope this helps.

6. hughie

hughie Thread Starter

Thanks to all who helped me

regards Hughie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice