1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed External Hard DRive to RAW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by majorfiend, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majorfiend

majorfiend Thread Starter

Folks, Hoping someone can help. While mounting a virtual drive I forgot that my external hard drive was connected and by mistake i reformatted the drive to RAW.It has all my photos etc from many years......the drive is visible but says its in RAW. Is there anything I can do to recover the data before i reformat it? Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    From a Elvandil Post
    Here's a list. If the free ones don't see anything, forget the pay ones.

Here's the list, anyway (I have more if you run out :D):

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
    DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

3. majorfiend

Thanks etaf am using one of thr freebies right now. It looks like it will take 13 hours! but so far it seems to have found 120,000 files. You might be able to help again please?. It seems to be finding files with lots of extensions like .avi.jpg etc....which is ok BUt the prefix is like fil120...file 121... when finished will i know the name of the file as it was before??? Thanks again

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Probably not, the table with all the handy contents of what was there is gone most likely and you are recovering files based on header information alone (type of file, start and end, file size stuff). So you will have to sort them all out again as far as naming goes afterward.
    That's also why its taking so long....its going through "book by book" because all the index cards are gone.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're able to recovery any of your files, count yourself incredibly lucky, and start backing up your data immediately and regularly.

6. majorfiend

not holding out much hope! will finish in 8 hrs...i will be left with file extensions which i hope i have to rename if i can open them??? Thanks

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should be OK - thats the same , when i had a CF Card fail on me , all the images except 1 was restored - just be patient and wait till the end and see what you get

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice