1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed graphics card-then disabled monitor,now black screen.Not even safe mode works

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephenco, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

I replaced the graphics card on a spare PC, but couldn't install it so changed back to the old one, but before doing so, disabled the monitor. Actually I went into Display Properties and then Monitor, Properties and under Device Usage at bottom, clicked on 'Do not use this device (disable)'

Question is, how do I re-enable it? BTW, I have it networked to other PC but can only get into shared docs

Anyway, now I get a screen view until Windows kicks in and then it goes totally blank (though I can hear Windows start via the speakers)

I've tried to start it in safe mode but it just stops with a list of driver names without going into safe mode (just seems to hang)

I tried using the last known good configuration but this didn't help either

Help please!

Thanks, Stephen

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Strange that disabling the monitor in Windows would affect safe mode. does the monitor have anything showing at all during post?

3. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

Yes, during Post even when attempting to start in Safe Mode, the lines of drivers being installed are visible. They fill the page and then stop but are still visible. They don't get past this point and the screen display freezes with this list visible. If I try to start it normally, the Windows logo appears and then the screen goes blank but you hear the windows tune being played. Its just not visible

4. moper

moper

Try System Restore at the command prompt:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Or try it blindly, using the keyboard, if you think Windows is actually loading. Another computer or laptop helps to practice the moves.
    After Windows loads, click one with the mouse where you think there are no icons. This highlights the Desktop. Ctrl-Shift-F10 will right click the Desktop. 6 down arrows highlights Properties. Press Enter. 4 Tabs, highlights Themes. 4 right arrows, highlights Settings. 7 Tabs, highlights Advanced. Enter. 5 Tabs, highlights General. 2 right arrows. etc. Some Property sheets may vary.

Can also be done in Device Manager: Windows-R for Run box. Type devmgmt.msc Enter. Tab-M takes you to M devices, probably the mouse. Down arrow once to Monitor. Right arrow to expand. Down arrow to your monitor. Enter. Tab. Up arrow to select 'Enable this Device'. Tab(for OK). Enter(to close). Alt. Enter. 2 down arrows. Enter to close device manager. Good luck.

moper

5. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

Thanks moper, I'v spent the morning trying to do it blindly but cant get it to work. I can't get it to boot in safe mode with command prompt either as it behaves the same way as in safe mode - basically just loads lines of text (drivers) and then stops displaying those lines

I've changed the video card and even tried an 'S' video from 1 pc to another but nothing

Running VGA from the F8 menu does not help either. Neither does running 2 monitors from the same video card

Surely there must be some way??

6. moper

moper

I was thinking of trying another monitor, something different from what you have. 'Maybe', Windows will detect new hardware and install default drivers.

Doing it blindly does have its problems. On my system, in device manager under M, I have 'Mice and other pointing devices' and 'Monitors'. On another, I have Mice, Modems, and Monitors. I suppose there could be variations or other M's.

moper

7. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

Heres a wacky idea...

Let Windows start, press the Windows key then R (for run) - type narrator then enter. Bring up run again then type devmgmt.msc - you can now hear where you are....lol

Good luck!!

8. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

Thanks again moper, I tried on a number of occassions today doing it blindly but I also could have other things and am afraid of disabling the mouse also!

I tried it on another monitor but it made no difference days ago either :-(

It wont boot into safe mode and I'm wondering if I've upset the registry when I installed the new video card. I've tried the old one back in but no difference

9. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

Thanks Neil, I'll give this a go

10. moper

moper

I just checked on an old computer I have(xp). Disabled the monitor. Shut down. When I restarted, everything was normal, even though device manager had a red x on the monitor and said it was disabled. Safety net? I don't know.

I would try another video card, if possible.

moper

11. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

I have already tried another video card which allowed me to use the DVI input but it made no difference. In fact it was trying to install this which has got me into this mess as I've done something else :-(

On the narrator front though, when I compare both pc's side by side and get into device manager, the problem pc does not see any monitor at all! When I click 'm' it goes from mouse straight to network adapters so theres obviously a problem here. Thats why doing it blind would not work yesterday!

So the question is, how do I get monitor to show in device manager?

12. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

Strange one...try this:

Start --> Run --> hdwwiz.cpl
    Yes to scan then 'yes I have connected already' - select a default monitor from the list

13. stephenco

stephenco Thread Starter

Ive tried this with narrator running, but it now gives an error message saying 'Cannot run 2 device installations. You can install only 1 device at a time. another installation isunder way. Push button'

I can't seem to get past this

14. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

How about enabling Remote Assistance so you can (hopefully) connect in and see what's went wrong?

15. moper

moper

Running out of ideas, here.
    Get yourself a Bart CD and see if the monitor works for it. Or one of the Linux CD's.
    If the monitor then works, consider a repair install of Windows. Or replacing the registry from the System Volume Information folder, using the Recovery Console or a Bart CD.

moper

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice